What Species is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy

New User
Roy Smith
I bought this lumber from a local sawyer about 2 years ago and he said it was QS RO. I was so dirty that I was not able to tell what it looked like, but after I planed it, I knew it was not RO. I like it and would like to know if anyone knows what it is. It is the darker of the 2 boards in the photo. It looks like it has some spalting. The lighter one is QS RO.

IMG_0412.jpg

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Why do you not think that it is QS red?
Ash and Oak look allot alike at times. In the picture I see the QS Rays, but I also see a wide grain.
Red oak has wide grain too.
So I was just wondering why you think it may not be Red Oak.:icon_scra
Maybe one of the Sawyers around here can help out.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Roy,

You bought that from me and it is red oak. I sold a good bit to a fellow in Morganton that made several nice pieces out of it.

This is from a large water oak

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Kyle ought to know.

I too thought that it was red oak - probably from a very fast growing tree.

What surprised me though was the fact that it has been planed. That's difficult to tell from the pix.

It probably came from a fairly large diameter log, based upon the grain patterns on the board.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I see RO and the board on the right is without a doubt QS. I think you got what you paid for and if it came from Kyle it is surely RO.
Rob

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Kyle ought to know.

I too thought that it was red oak - probably from a very fast growing tree.

What surprised me though was the fact that it has been planed. That's difficult to tell from the pix.

It probably came from a fairly large diameter log, based upon the grain patterns on the board.

It was huge log as the water oaks frequently have growth rings in excess of 1/2 inch. The fast growth creates a "waterfall" pattern and some boards resemble ziricote when sawn.

I wish I had another large clear oak like that because this time I would quarter it and get some really qsawn

Roy

New User
Roy Smith
Thank all of you for your responses. I really like the wood and was just curious as to what it was. I had never seen RO like that. I did not doubt Kyle when he said it was RO, but it was so dirty and discolored that I thought he may have made a mistake. It was my mistake. Sorry.

kaysa

New User
Dr. Spalting
Thank all of you for your responses. I really like the wood and was just curious as to what it was. I had never seen RO like that. I did not doubt Kyle when he said it was RO, but it was so dirty and discolored that I thought he may have made a mistake. It was my mistake. Sorry.

Looks very much like oak - but sorry, its not spalted!

Seri (ye ole fungus whisperer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors