What kind of tree did I just cut down???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I finally decided to cut my trees down myself. I figured it was wide open enough, and I read everything I could find on the subject. Here's the result:

The one tree is a cedar for sure:

But I am not sure what the other one is. Any help?

Whatever is it, it looks like it has some so rt of fungus or spalting. Should be pretty decent when I get around to milling it up.

Also, a word of caution. I know safety cannot be stressed enough, and I am usually a big proponent of caution in the shop. But a couple of days ago I had my first power tool accident. It was small, but certainly scared me half to death. The offending machine was my brother-in-law's old harbor friend SCMS, with NO blade guard. Dumb, I know. But be safe everyone!!!!

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
easier to figure out what the second tree is with a pic of the bark and leaves. hazarding a guess from just the bottom, I would say it looks an awful lot like a tree.:slap:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nice job Marco, if it were me I'd use the chain saw, yell timber, run like he** and then it would fall on me. Sorry that I can't help indentify the wood.

Jimmy:)

ps. If you're up for some beer at the Flying Saucer keep checking the other post, I'm trying to get something in stone. Hope to see you there.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Jimmy, as far as I'm concerned, It's in stone for me. It sounds like a great time, and I am about due for a flying saucer trip.

As for the tree, I have never seen a leaf on it because it's been dead for a several years now. But here's a picture of the bark:

and another

and here's a picture of the backside of the bark. Some of you tree guys might be able to tell me what killed the tree.

thanks for the info, guys

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My guess based on your pictures of the bark, and butt cut is Silver Maple. As to what led to it's demise is hard to tell. The fungus you are seeing isn't the cause, but more likely the result of it standing dead for a while.
It should still make some nice wood.
Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm gonna guess Sweet Gum (or dead gum. "Hey Ma, I just cut down that deadgum tree out back"). Could as easily be maple tho. Either way, it might make some good secondary wood. As for what killed it, lightning is always a possibility.

Go

Threejs

New User
David
Had you been in the mountains I would have guessed hickory or locust. Down here I suppose it probably is Maple. I dont think it is sweet gum. I spent last sunday splitting one of those, and hating every minute of it. Like trying to split a sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS