What is good runout for a TS blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
A while back I posted about my disappointment with the sharpening of 2 TS blades. Tonight I measured the runout on them [with my decimal dial indicator:icon_scra] and it came out to 0.004-0.005 in on both blades. To refresh: one of the blades left a very good finished edge requiring little-to-no sanding before sharpening...not so good afterwards. I've been asked to send the blades back for inspection - I was told some of the teeth are probably sticking out a bit. Note that I measured both the blade surface just below the gullets (from one side of the blade) and individually checked the middle of each tooth from both sides.

What runout would you expect to see on, for example, a Forrest WWII glue-line rip blade? How much runout starts to leave a poor surface? Anyone have any idea about this?

TIA!
Chris

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, what is the run out at the arbor? That affects everything. Your blade sounds like it's within spec. But I would shoot Toolferrone a PM and ask. That is definitely his area of expertise.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Chris, my WWIIs measure .003 cold and .003 hot.
My Leitz measures .003 cold and maybe .001 hot.
2 Delta rip blades are .005 cold and .003 hot.
My Frueds are .003 cold and about .002 hot.

Hope that helps your question some, but I feel .005 is problematic.

Joe

Don Alexander

New User
Don
to paraphrase an old and decidedly un PC saying ................. "the only good runout is no runout", failing that and to quote another old saying............. "less is more" :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS