What a week, a few new additions and I need some advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
hey everybody,

Well, I've only had time in the last 6 months or so to produce a few small turnings, but last weekend I finally got around to re-organizing the shop. To make a long story short, my wife just gave birth to our 2nd son on the 15th, and things have been really frantic. I hope this doesn't speak poorly of me just moments after my son's birth, but this afternoon I took a trip from the hospital to the in-laws house to grab a few things and on the way back I saw a large tree had been felled in a neighbor's yard. Now before I get lynched (you never know who may be reading :D)... I didn't stop to ask about the tree.

BUT, I may have made a phone call to have my mother in law chat up the neighbor a bit :D Long story short, I now have another strong healthy son, and two 7' long x 30"diameter logs of some great looking ambrosia maple to show for my weekend.

Now I have a pretty good idea what to do with the baby, but I'm kind of at a loss for how to deal with the logs. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to get some slabs, but I don't know if I can pull it off. I have been kicking around the idea of chainsawing a few awesome turning blanks, but I'm also torn on that... come on people I need some ideas, so Let em rip!

BTW his name is Drake Harrison 7lb 6oz 20 1/2":icon_cheers

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Congrats on the baby!! How large are the logs?

7' long x 30"diameter logs

More congrats!

30" - wow, that's large! Just to double check, that is diameter, right? They must be very heavy. Do you have a way to transport them to someone to mill? Even though there would be a fair amount in them, it is likely that a sawyer's trip charge would make milling just a couple of logs a little pricey. I wouldn't attempt to cut up something that large and heavy with just a chainsaw unless it was a really big one (see Scott Smith's profile pic :) ) and even then it would be tough to get good slabs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We do have a miller near you. He has a big truck and will come pick up the wood for a price. Give him a call and see what you can work out. Keep us informed!

H&W Custom Cut Lumber
& Mobile Sawmill
10800 Waxhaw Hwy,
Waxhaw NC 28173
Drive in's welcome, 8:00a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturdays ONLY.
All others, Please call to setup an appointment.
Call Today 980-721-7954
H&W Custom Cut Lumber

b4man

New User
Barbara
Congratulations on the birth of your new son!!:icon_cheers

As for the logs...:dontknow: :gar-La;

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Congratulations to all of you. It's an awesome experience. :icon_cheers

You might also consider Kyle Edwards; he's one of our sawyers located in Iron Station, just a bit northwest of Charlotte.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new son!
Member westisbest has a Woodmiser. Not sure if he hires himself out. Worth a PM if Randy or Kyle are not able to help.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
When our neighbors Sycamore tree fell I ordered an Alaskan chain saw mill. This thing bolts on the chainsaw and helps to make straight cuts. We still need a rip chain, doing it with a regular chain is hard, and takes a long time and is hard on the saw. The mill was around $150. BTY, I don't do the sawing, my husband does, I am scared of the chainsaw!! :gar-La;

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the son. Trust he and mother are both doing superbly!
You got some good tips on the logs. Good luck with them.

I was given some 'firewood' just for getting it out of the man's way.
Maple isn't my favorite firewood but the price was right!
Doesn't look like much of this will be seeing the firebox.
:gar-Bi

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
Thanks everyone,

Just to be clear, if I go the chainsaw route I don't plan on slabbing it out. I'd just cut about 300 bowl blanks and turn an entire banquet hall :D I appreciate the tips, and by all means, if anyone has any more thoughts on milling let me know.

Now since I mentioned it, I thought I'd show at least a picture or two... maybe more to come.. for now, just my two boys!
Link_Drake.jpg

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS