Were you once like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjohnson

New User
Adam
Hello all you kind strangers. Someone referred me here... love it so-far. I am looking to start a career, always been hard for me to decide (deciding is half the battle). I have a degree but would rather work with my hands, create things I can be proud of, put my thoughts and emotions into (hopefully not negative ones!). I am a third generation painter, many times fixed shotty carpentry (in CA....). Always loved wood, hiking relaxes me (moving permanently to NC to be with my one and only love). Always hated painting over the true beauty of wood, I enjoy natural looking grains....anyways. Don't know if I will be able to find a good woodworking shop around the Hendersonville (or Asheville, but hate to commute...) area that would take a fast learning, hard working, common sensed young man under their wing (would LOVE a mentor who I respect). Perhaps I will work a hated job to save up for tools, teach myself, and see where that goes: but I know I could learn valuable lessons from the experienced masters that are "here". Guess that is it for now, try to post some pictures of the little things I have made for my Lady.... keep creating and shaping!
ADAM JOHNSON

PS- I LOOVE North Carolina, gorgeous country, where I want to spend the rest of my life, instead of hot, crowded, desert, expensive....etc. CA.

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Hi welcome to the site. I know for a fact that we have several great members in your area. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your work.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome to the site Adam, I thimk you came to the right place. We all wish we could make a living out of WW but even the people that are say that it's barely a living, but it's a great hobby. There are lots of groups out your way, I'm sure they will weigh in, that can help you learn. Like most people here, I stated out just like you and it took years to build up a tool collection. Find a space and get a few tools and you're off on a building spree:mrgreen:.

Good Luck

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Welcome to NC and NCWW'er Adam!

Ya better watch this crowd or you'll end up buying more tools than you have room for.

Jump on in and enjoy.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome to the site Adam - Looking forwrad to seeing your input and some of your pictures of your projects -

davejones

New User
Dave
Hi Adam,

I escaped to NC from CA about 3 yrs ago. Couldn't be happier that I made the move! :thumbs_up

Seems like there are plenty of skilled woodworkers in your area. Hopefully you will find someone to learn from. Otherwise, keep hanging out here as there is plenty to be learned on this site.

Dave

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Adam to NC and NCWW. many of us are transplants for other parts of the country and world. Almost none want to return. There are a number of great WW in your area. I am sure they will introduce themselves via this tread.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Hi Adam, and welcome! I see you already got the subliminal message about pics...:banana::camera:

What part of CA you from? I have a brother in Santa Barbara area, Goleta specifically, and he's been trying for YEARS to get me to visit. He thinks IT is the perfect place to live...oh well, I guess we all can be wrong sometimes!:wink_smil

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site.

To answer your question - yes and no.

Yes I wanted to work with my hands and be creative, so I did. I started working for a silk screen shop when I was 17. I just decided that's what I wanted to do and went asking for a chance to every shop in town. Finally one guy said he could use a helper on Saturdays to clean up and paint.

I learned a lot there and moved up to several other jobs in that field. Finally burned out after 16 years doing every facet of the industry all the way up to darkroom and advertising design.

Never got a degree and was never asked if I had one, everybody i met assumed I had one. Don't have a degree in my current field and have reached the top of this profession too.

So, I think you should follow your desire and do what makes you happy. If you love your work you will excel and the money will follow. I always heard that growing up and never believed it, but looking back that is what happened.

Dragon

New User
David
Welcome Adam. Glad you found this site. I just got on here last month and have already learned a bunch and met some new friends that I didn't have before. Maybe your luck be as good as mine.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website Adam from a fellow resident of Hendersonville -- my wife and I moved here five years ago this next month and we love it here -- there are plenty of woodworkers in the area, but as you probably know, times are tight for cabinet shops to be hiring, but there are always some opportunities. I'm also President of a group of amateur and professional woodworkers from the area called the Western NC Woodworkers Association and we'd enjoy having you join us at our next meeting to meet some fellow woodworkers. If you are interested, send me a PM with your email address and I'll be sure you get on our e-mailing list for our next meeting coming Saturday, Feb 14th. In the interim, check out our website at www.wncwa.org.

Again, welcome to the site.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Adam, it is great to have you here. Feel free to jump in at any time and post lots and lots of pictures.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, Adam.

We hope you're contemplatin'
an inclination
towards wood rotatin'
as an avocation
or just a way of pacificatin'
your desire for creatin'
products for our admiratin'