Walnut Floor Lamp Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I applied a few more coats of Johnson's paste wax this evening and I got the look I was after. 2 coats Watco clear Danish oil, about SEVEN coats of wax.

The project went together okay. Still managed to bonehead out a few times!! :lol:

The leg corbels are pretty simple but it was my first time free-handing a pattern and cutting with the BS, shaping and sanding then trimming with a flush trim bit. I had to tweak each corbel to fit flush to the assembled stand and post.

I love the new bandsaw. I used it to rough rip all the stock, cut the tapers, cut the pattern, cut anything! How did I ever live without one!

Anyway, here's a few pics.

Chuck

Attachments

• Walnut Post1.jpg
    Walnut Post1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Walnut Lamp 002.jpg
    Walnut Lamp 002.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 260

Monty

New User
Monty
That's beautiful! I love the design, and it looks like you did a fantastic job on the finish.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice Chuck. I really like the natural look to the walnut. I have always been a fan of natural finishes but most customers want a color unnatural to the woods true colors. Anyway, it looks great and you did a great job on the construction.

Mike

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Nice! You also answered a question for me. I am getting ready to put Danish oil on walnut and was hoping I could get it to come up a little from dead flat. You got exactly what I am after... :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chuck, that is stunningly beautiful, now you need to get some nice furniture to go with it, and clean the place up a bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job, a fine piece of craftsmanship :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Excellent job Chuck.:icon_thum It sounds like you probably learned a lot about finishing with this project but boy it sure was worth it. The lamp and finish turned out beautifully.

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck
insomniac said:
By the way, how did you finally decide to do the corbel glueup?

I lined everything up and clamped the corbel, pre-drilled through the base into the corbel bottom. Then I applied glue, clamped small strips to center the corbel then clamped and screwed the bottom. Glue squeeze out was a PITA to clean up. I should have prefinished the corbels and taped along the sides prior to glue up. :eusa_doh: Lesson learned.

Chuck

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chuck, That's absolutely beautiful! I made what I thought was a beautiful lamp a few years ago, but now I have a new standard. Perhaps there's another lamp in my future. Was this your own design?
Roy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chuck, that turned out great! I like the wide base as a design element and for stability :-D

And all the effort on getting the BS you wanted has paid off nicely :icon_thum

Sapwood

cpowell

New User
Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
DaveO said:
Chuck, that is stunningly beautiful, now you need to get some nice furniture to go with it, and clean the place up a bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job, a fine piece of craftsmanship :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

That room is our formal living room. It's one of those deals where I spend 100 dollars/sq ft for the largest room in the house that is used at most twice a year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't understand this logic but am smart enough to do as I'm told when the CFO speaks!

Chuck

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Yep, makes future tool purchases go a lot easier. You scored double points here by recognizing the ground rules AND building a beautiful piece to add to the trophy room.

cpowell said:
That room is our formal living room. It's one of those deals where I spend 100 dollars/sq ft for the largest room in the house that is used at most twice a year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't understand this logic but am smart enough to do as I'm told when the CFO speaks!

Chuck

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chuck, Thanks for the reference (I've marked it). I don't consider myself creative and get better results when working from ideas of those whom are artistic. You made a good choice in using walnut instead of oak, although I have a sister-in-law who wants everything in oak. I have one walnut board in my shop that would probably do very well masquerading as a floor lamp. All it needs is some reshaping and a pretty hat. Thanks again and I predict that those who visit your house for years to come are going to look with envy at your lamp.
Roy

Last edited:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Chuck, did you make the lamp from the walnut you hauled back from
Steve Wall Lumber Co.?

Pretty work, a lovely addition to the CFO's boardroom and will probably serve as down payment on future shop purchases....:icon_thum :eusa_danc

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Big Mike said:
Chuck, did you make the lamp from the walnut you hauled back from
Steve Wall Lumber Co.?

Pretty work, a lovely addition to the CFO's boardroom and will probably serve as down payment on future shop purchases....:icon_thum :eusa_danc

The walnut was from Wall Lumber. It was the "walnut bundle" wood, 6 - 8 ft long, steamed/KD, $3.40/bd ft. I believe I have enough left over for a DR table (two projects away on "the list").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS