Walnut Floor Lamp Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I applied a few more coats of Johnson's paste wax this evening and I got the look I was after. 2 coats Watco clear Danish oil, about SEVEN coats of wax.

The project went together okay. Still managed to bonehead out a few times!! :lol:

The leg corbels are pretty simple but it was my first time free-handing a pattern and cutting with the BS, shaping and sanding then trimming with a flush trim bit. I had to tweak each corbel to fit flush to the assembled stand and post.

I love the new bandsaw. I used it to rough rip all the stock, cut the tapers, cut the pattern, cut anything! How did I ever live without one!

Anyway, here's a few pics.

Chuck

Attachments

• Walnut Post1.jpg
    Walnut Post1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Walnut Lamp 002.jpg
    Walnut Lamp 002.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 255

Monty

New User
Monty
That's beautiful! I love the design, and it looks like you did a fantastic job on the finish.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice Chuck. I really like the natural look to the walnut. I have always been a fan of natural finishes but most customers want a color unnatural to the woods true colors. Anyway, it looks great and you did a great job on the construction.

Mike

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job on the lamp, Chuck! Nice choice on the finish too. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Nice! You also answered a question for me. I am getting ready to put Danish oil on walnut and was hoping I could get it to come up a little from dead flat. You got exactly what I am after... :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chuck, that is stunningly beautiful, now you need to get some nice furniture to go with it, and clean the place up a bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job, a fine piece of craftsmanship :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Excellent job Chuck.:icon_thum It sounds like you probably learned a lot about finishing with this project but boy it sure was worth it. The lamp and finish turned out beautifully.

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck
insomniac said:
By the way, how did you finally decide to do the corbel glueup?

I lined everything up and clamped the corbel, pre-drilled through the base into the corbel bottom. Then I applied glue, clamped small strips to center the corbel then clamped and screwed the bottom. Glue squeeze out was a PITA to clean up. I should have prefinished the corbels and taped along the sides prior to glue up. :eusa_doh: Lesson learned.

Chuck

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chuck, That's absolutely beautiful! I made what I thought was a beautiful lamp a few years ago, but now I have a new standard. Perhaps there's another lamp in my future. Was this your own design?
Roy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chuck, that turned out great! I like the wide base as a design element and for stability :-D

And all the effort on getting the BS you wanted has paid off nicely :icon_thum

Sapwood

cpowell

New User
Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
DaveO said:
Chuck, that is stunningly beautiful, now you need to get some nice furniture to go with it, and clean the place up a bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job, a fine piece of craftsmanship :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Dave:)

That room is our formal living room. It's one of those deals where I spend 100 dollars/sq ft for the largest room in the house that is used at most twice a year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't understand this logic but am smart enough to do as I'm told when the CFO speaks!

Chuck

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Yep, makes future tool purchases go a lot easier. You scored double points here by recognizing the ground rules AND building a beautiful piece to add to the trophy room.

cpowell said:
That room is our formal living room. It's one of those deals where I spend 100 dollars/sq ft for the largest room in the house that is used at most twice a year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't understand this logic but am smart enough to do as I'm told when the CFO speaks!

Chuck

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Chuck, Thanks for the reference (I've marked it). I don't consider myself creative and get better results when working from ideas of those whom are artistic. You made a good choice in using walnut instead of oak, although I have a sister-in-law who wants everything in oak. I have one walnut board in my shop that would probably do very well masquerading as a floor lamp. All it needs is some reshaping and a pretty hat. Thanks again and I predict that those who visit your house for years to come are going to look with envy at your lamp.
Roy

Last edited:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Chuck, did you make the lamp from the walnut you hauled back from
Steve Wall Lumber Co.?

Pretty work, a lovely addition to the CFO's boardroom and will probably serve as down payment on future shop purchases....:icon_thum :eusa_danc

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Big Mike said:
Chuck, did you make the lamp from the walnut you hauled back from
Steve Wall Lumber Co.?

Pretty work, a lovely addition to the CFO's boardroom and will probably serve as down payment on future shop purchases....:icon_thum :eusa_danc

The walnut was from Wall Lumber. It was the "walnut bundle" wood, 6 - 8 ft long, steamed/KD, $3.40/bd ft. I believe I have enough left over for a DR table (two projects away on "the list").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS