• ???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
OK so here is a thread to get the turners challenge going. Once a challenge is decided on I will discuss with the suggester a set of "guidelines" for the challenge, or the suggester may outline the rules in the challenge. We will let the suggestion thread fun from now until the Sun the 31st. Then we will add a vote to take place on Feb. 1st. the challenge will run for 2 mo. and end on March 31st. Though if you do participate, but don't finish by the 31st, we would love to still see your work.

So without further gilding of the Lily. I read of this challenge a while back and loved the concept.

Challenge:

Turn 1 BF any wood or combination of woods, but not more than 1 BF. That is the whole challenge, turn whatever you like, but 1 BF is the limit.

Any other ideas??

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Re: Ideas for first turners challenge?

Good idea. Could be some interesting turnings. I'd like to suggest something square. Square bowl, square box, etc.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob

Let me see if I have this straight. I could start with a piece of wood 12" x 12" x 1", or 6" x 6" x 4", or 8" x 8" X 2 1/4", or 4" x 4" x 9" (all equal 1 bf I believe) and then turn something from that. Is that what you are suggesting? Sounds like a good idea. :icon_thum

erasmussen

New User
RAS

I like the 1BF idea:eusa_danc
1/2 x 1 x288:gar-La;
or better yet 1/2 x 3/4 x384

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

I like the 1BF idea:eusa_danc
1/2 x 1 x288:gar-La;
or better yet 1/2 x 3/4 x384

Wow that many Segments for 1 board foot. Nice

I think I can take part in this challange.

Gary Any pics from those other websites for us to get some ideas from?:eusa_thin

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Matthew, Sorry no pics. You'll need to get your creative juices flowing. But I will tell you the others have it spot on. Any piece/pieces that total 1 BF. It would be great if we could see some before and after pics on this one.

Bob, I like the square idea too, are you thinking that both together or as another project?

Anyone have any other ideas???

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

Let me see if I have this straight. I could start with a piece of wood 12" x 12" x 1", or 6" x 6" x 4", or 8" x 8" X 2 1/4", or 4" x 4" x 9" (all equal 1 bf I believe) and then turn something from that. Is that what you are suggesting? Sounds like a good idea. :icon_thum

But an 8" diameter column can be a hair under 3" thick. That may sound like cutting corners, because it is if you start with a board. :rolf: But if you use a stabilized log or a precut blank it seems fair, so it seems to me it should be the amount of wood you mount to begin turning. Otherwise Earl will need to add back in all those kerfs...

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

But an 8" diameter column can be a hair under 3" thick. That may sound like cutting corners, because it is if you start with a board. :rolf: But if you use a stabilized log or a precut blank it seems fair, so it seems to me it should be the amount of wood you mount to begin turning. Otherwise Earl will need to add back in all those kerfs...

So does that mean if we have 1 BF of a turning block, we have to add back the wood we cut out of the middle & outside of the bowl shape? We certainly won't have 1 BF after making a bowl from a 1 BF turning block.

And Earl would probably have more BF in his, than we would in ours.

CarvedTones

Andy

So does that mean if we have 1 BF of a turning block, we have to add back the wood we cut out of the middle & outside of the bowl shape? We certainly won't have 1 BF after making a bowl from a 1 BF turning block.

And Earl would probably have more BF in his, than we would in ours.

This is not my contest, but your comments make me think about adjusting my stance. How about whatever gets mounted on the lathe to begin turning must be 144 cubic inches or smaller including any interior that is already hollow? (sorry, Earl).

erasmussen

New User
RAS

I will start out with a total of 1BF before I start cutting
1/2 x1 x 288 in inches is 1 bf

CarvedTones

Andy

With the new rule I just proposed, you are still okay - just mount the board between centers, spin it up, turn it off and then cut it. :)

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

The way that the challenge was proposed was you have 144 cubic in of wood to turn, that is starting wood. You can make 1 item or multiple items cut it, glue it, burn it, route it, but in the end it needs to be a turned piece. If you want to do the math on a colum, or round bowl blank do it, just start with 144 cubic in.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

This is not my contest, but your comments make me think about adjusting my stance. How about whatever gets mounted on the lathe to begin turning must be 144 cubic inches or smaller including any interior that is already hollow? (sorry, Earl).

Right I agree. 1 BF mounted on the lathe and turn away. Earl's will still work as he mentioned.

He will have more than 1 BF when he cut's all the segment's, but when he put's it on the lathe it will be 1 bf before he starts turning.

See: 1/2 x1 x 288 inches is 1 bf... Thats 288 segments=1 bf

CarvedTones

Andy

Sorry; I did not mean to imply my interpretations are regulations. I actually have a small catalpa log that dried with minimal checking that I keep going back and forth on - turn it, carve it or slice and scroll it. Turning may be the best choice as my experience with other pieces from the same tree is that it has more problems with the pith disentegrating than anything else. I just need to stabilize one end.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Just my thought, but since all of this talk about segmentation why don't you just say that we need to take 1bf of a solid piece this go around - then the next "contest" do a "segmentation contest" -It looks like to me that the ones that do not do "solid" pieces this would be the challenge and the ones that do not do the "segmentation" this would be a challenge to them - Isn't that what the "contest" is for a "challenge" - JMTCW

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Why put any stipulations on it? Just turn 1 bf, your end piece is your creativity. I myself may use several pieces, or I may make several piecees haven't decided yet.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Ya'll have fun.

I don't do challenges, I have a hard enough time getting my own visions done with all this client ordered work taking up my time.

I have one bowl that has been waiting for me to finish it for two years now.

woodArtz

New User
Bob

Why put any stipulations on it? Just turn 1 bf, your end piece is your creativity. I myself may use several pieces, or I may make several piecees haven't decided yet.

Keep it simple... I like it. :icon_thum

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Sorry guys missed getting the vote up yesterday, but it's up today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS