visited a local flutemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I apologize for the cell phone pics, but the time between contacting him about a visit someday and then having someday come was under a day...

I happened across a listing for a maker of NAFs (Native American Flutes):
http://www.risingmoonflutes.com/
who bores his flutes (most NAF builders trench 2 halves and then glue them together). I noticed he was in Raleigh, so I sent him an email asking if I might come by and see his shop sometime. I told him I was also trying to slowly get into this, but not really head to head since I am doing European style woodwinds. He replied almost right away and it turns out he is less than 4 miles from my office and he ahd some free time this afternoon.

Again, apologies for the cell phone pics. His name is David O'Niel and he makes flutes in a really small shop in the 'burbs part time, working a nerd type job like mine full time for now.

0422001620.jpg

He is cranking out a lot of flutes.

0422001619a.jpg

on a big honkin' lathe.

0422001619.jpg

One more apology about the camera.

I learned a lot in a short period. I wish I had taken a better camera. After the shop tour, we went up to the house and he showed me a few different models he makes and played them. Some really nice flutes!

If anyone goes to Spring Daze in Cary on saturday, look for him there...

CarvedTones

Andy
Tony,

Wasn't much of a trade; I had little to offer and much to learn. He has made a pretty significant investment in his equipment as it is very much a business. He has a couple of drill bits that cost more than my lathe, chucks and bits added together. But it makes sense, because he can qucikly and cleanly get big long tubes.

Brad,

I think the tuba was invented when some idiot woke up a knight with a great bass shawm.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
That's funny. I work with David and was telling about your new lathe project. I told him you make European flutes so we checked out your website.

CarvedTones

Andy
You will have to show him this picture, which will never show up on my site :no::
extfipple.JPG

I was inspired to try an external duct fipple after my visit. The mouthpiece is a plastic test tube with a hole drilled in it. It actually works okay. It was an interesting exercise to help me understand edges and airflow better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS