Vise Vice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
My Dad was a patternmaker, and he had a vice very similar to this (the only major difference being the projecting 'arms' that can be seen on the bottom when the unit is in the horizontal position.) Hard to tell the scale, but I think that his might have be bigger by half. I don't know what material it was made of, heavy gray, but it never rusted or chipped so I would be surprised if it were cast iron.

Great vice, very versatile. I wish that I had kept it at the estate sale... If I remember correctly his could project out at the bottom a few degrees, meaning the back jaw did not have to be perpindicular to the bench top. The crazy thing - in 20 years of watching my dad work with his, I don't remember it ever being used in anything but the vertical position. I wonder how much of that flexibility and good idea is ever put into practice.

I was amused by the price and the '1992 Design and Engineering Award'. His was probably 40 years old when he bought it 30 years ago, definitely not designed in the 90's. I know that it's a long time ago, but he probably agonized over spending $100 at auction for his.

Just like the Patternmaker's trade, many of the specialized tools have died off and been forgotten. I'll bet that's the same story with wheelwrights, coopers, and other woodworking trades left behind by new technology and materials. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Mike
Chapel Hill

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
The Lee Valley vise is a very good copy of the turn of the century Emmerts Pattern Makers vise. There are a number of models and they have become quite collectible.

They are very versatile and really very heavy. The below website gives a lot of info on how to obtain, parts and how to mount them on your bench.

Emmert-U5-VanMaren-01.jpg

The Grey model is newer than the older "Turtle back" models.

See this website for more info.

http://mprime.com/Emmert/index

Dan C.

Also see my gallery photos for a picture of my vise installed.

Nativespec

New User
David
It is a great looking vise and I am sure the quality is no. 1. I just find it strange that I can buy a Rikon floor model drill press that articulates in all kinds of positions for $200 and it contains more of steel and iron (and a motor) shipped from Asia and sold at Woodcraft for pick up and a 9" vise can be priced for about the same.

meika123

New User
Dave Snider
Call me thrifty-call me cheap, or call me whatever you wish, but I love a bargain. I have two vises on my workbench-one tail vise, and one side vise. They are extremely heavy, and very well made. I bought them on Ebay several years ago, and have never regretted it. I probably have less than $150.00 in both. Just a thought.

Nativespec

New User
David
Jimmy:

Thanks. I ordered from Highland (bought a chisel too). Looks like the same one both Japan Woodworker and Woodcraft sell for about $30 more.

David

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy:

Thanks. I ordered from Highland (bought a chisel too). Looks like the same one both Japan Woodworker and Woodcraft sell for about $30 more.

David

David I'm glad you ordered the vice, I've been looking at it for a while. Now that I'll be building a new bench soon, I might order one soon. After you get the vice hooked up and used, maybe you could write up a review:eusa_pray?

Jimmy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS