Very small screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Managed to successfully drive home 9 screws, but snapped the head off #10. Arg. I need a very small philips head brass screw, #1, 3/8" long (actually 7/16"). There are several sources on-line, but that would mean I end up with a box of 100 plus $4 shipping. That seems overkill for ONE screw.

The smallest screw that Ace carries is a #2. Someone suggested True Value, I tried calling them this afternoon but got no answer. Any other sources in the area?

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Bas,

I have some very small ones. I could stick them in the big post office box tomorrow and you might have them by Tuesday.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I may have a few about that size left over from some brass hinges I got from WoodCraft. These, I think, if it helps any I can check when I get home from work in about 30 minutes.

HTH
Brian.

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Bas, the screws I have are 3/8" long and have a recommended pre-drill of 1/16, no clue what size # they are. I've got at least one and could probably locate a couple more if you can use them. I'm working tomorrow but if you think they'll work I can leave them for you before I go in. Let me know if you're interested and think they'll work.

btw, I'm over in N. Raleighwood not too far from Crabtree and WoodCraft.

Brian.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
just checked my supply and all I have in #1 is 3/16 phillips flat head but not they are black not brass. You might try the doll house section at a craft store

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I found 5 different types of brass and brass-like screws in my "Misc Small Screws" jar.

Phillips head, I suspect #1. Some smaller than others.

Most are 7/16 to 1/2.

If you'd like, pm me your snail mail and I'll drop them in monday.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas,

I have some very small ones. I could stick them in the big post office box tomorrow and you might have them by Tuesday.
Hi Susan - that would be fantastic. I'll PM you the info.

Bas, the screws I have are 3/8" long and have a recommended pre-drill of 1/16, no clue what size # they are. I've got at least one and could probably locate a couple more if you can use them. I'm working tomorrow but if you think they'll work I can leave them for you before I go in. Let me know if you're interested and think they'll work.

btw, I'm over in N. Raleighwood not too far from Crabtree and WoodCraft.

Brian.
Thanks Brian, but based on the 1/16" pilot hole, I think those would be too large.

I found 5 different types of brass and brass-like screws in my "Misc Small Screws" jar.

Phillips head, I suspect #1. Some smaller than others.

Most are 7/16 to 1/2.

If you'd like, pm me your snail mail and I'll drop them in monday.

Jim
PM on the way.

To everyone else: Thanks! :icon_cheers Great info on some more suppliers, and I never would have thought to look at a Crafts store. I wonder if Michaels carries them.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, you might try Wilders in Raleigh. They have an incredible selection of bolts and nuts; not sure about screws though.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Bas - You might try MicroMark. I buy a lot of small screws from them in packs of 40. I know they have your size but the phillips head might be a problem (not to mention shipping). I'd gladly send you some but I'm plumb out of them.

ernie

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Bas.

Another option if you only need a couple. Check out the small hinge H/W at Home Dept. You could buy a couple of jewelry box hinges and/or clasps for couple of bucks and pilfer the screws. Then all you need is replacement screws when you are ready to use them.

May solve your immediate problem.:dontknow:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS