Vertical Milling

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi all, had a special order yesterday for some crosscut slabs. These are a pain in the butt. Thery are hard to get clamped good enough for my likings. I sawed these at 12/4 and they are 24"W. He also wanted the 2' butt log. 8)
Zi6_0605.jpg

Zi6_0630.jpg

Zi6_0631.jpg

Zi6_0632.jpg

Zi6_0618.jpg

Zi6_0620.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The cut would not be as smooth nor as close to parallel.

I just hope they don't split open while drying. Are you coating the face with anything?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, I might not be able to saw them equally, but I could saw them and then run them through the wide belt sander.....

Maybe.....

Probably not.:nah:

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Yes Mike, I painted them real heavy with latex paint ( about 5 heavy coats). On the face side and placed them upside down in the shop, with about 100 lbs on each one I kept for myself.:icon_thum I'm hoping the moisture will leave from the bottom. We'll see though I recon.:cool:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well, I might not be able to saw them equally, but I could saw them and then run them through the wide belt sander.....
Travis, you have WBS disease :rotflm:

Not happy with your skin complexion? Let me run you through my wide belt sander.
Feeling depressed? Come see my wide belt sander!
Difficulty getting your spouse to do chores? Run him or her through my wide belt sander!

I gotta admit though, it's one awesome tool.... :tool: :tool:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yes Mike, I painted them real heavy with latex paint ( about 5 heavy coats). On the face side and placed them upside down in the shop, with about 100 lbs on each one I kept for myself.:icon_thum I'm hoping the moisture will leave from the bottom. We'll see though I recon.:cool:

I am confused...
Are you saying you only "sealed" on side? It seems likely they will still crack. Actually big rounds often crack with both sides sealed. I did see Tim Yoder (TV) turn something not long ago that he noted was one of the few that had stable big rounds. I quoted "sealed" because of my experience with latex. It has worked for me, but only if I waited a little bit; long enough for thre to be a dry surface for the paint but not long enough for it to dry deep enough to crack. I switched to using TB II or TB III for a while and then finally got some AnchorSeal not long ago. If I didn't have any, I would go with the glue (TB II or TB III) before I would use latex again. The glue seals very well and can go on when the wood is wetter than what worked for me with latex. Glue is expensive and a pain to apply though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS