Veneer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Any veneer gurus on here that can recommend a good site for veneer? I know about Joe Woodworker, just wanted to comparison shop a bit. Looking primarily for larger 'exotic' sheets for use with tabletops etc.

Warning...answering this query will most likely subject you to a barrage of veneering questions since I'm just getting started down this slippery slope! :eusa_danc

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Berkshire Veneer and Certainly Wood are 2 well known Companies for veneer. I don't have any personal experience with either to comment further.

Stephen

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I've dealt with Certainly Wood in the past ans was happy with the quality, sevice and value.

bobby g

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I have purchased from this source. Take a look at the link, he deals in some big pieces and can make up sheets to your specs. I recommend him. When you call, he usually answers the phone.

http://www.morganwood.com/catalog/

Here is another source I have used:

J & E Sketch Face Veneer Co.
High Point , NC
336-885-8900
Ask for Donna, she is the owner

Mike

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I second the recommendation of Bob Morgan in Wesport KY. I have bought veneer and supplies from him for a number of years. He is very personable, knowledgable and his prices are very reasonable. Plus, he has just about any kind of veneer you might need. His web site is http://w.w.w.morganwood.com
His phone # is 502-265-0954
Jim in Mayberry

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Check on Ebay, There is a seller called inventorswife. They buy left over pieces from some companies that do high end yacht and aircraft interiors. I have purchased some from them and have been real happy. They have long pieces in decent quanities. Many exotics.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
send a PM to travis porter? he had some for sale cheap a while back. last we spoke he still had a bunch left.:icon_thum

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks for the responses! I bought some from Joe Woodworker and Certainly Wood. Now lets see how I manage to destroy them!

Just a couple of general questions for you gurus.

What is your favorite substrate and substrate source?

When doing tabletops etc. at 1.5" or more do you just glue up several 75" boards? What works better for this MDF or ply?

Do you generally use some hardwood for edge work or glue some of the face veneer?

What backer do you recommend for non-show face?

For larger panels, do you guys use all-wood or paper-backed veneers? If paper-backed, how do you deal with the backer veneer and edges?

Anybody use 2-ply? Pros and cons?

If I wanted to use a veneered panel in a frame/panel cabinet door, can I use 1/2" or thinner substrate or or would this warp too badly?

Any other advice for a veneer virgin? Lookin' forward to firing up the venturi press and sliding down yet another slippery slope.

P.S. - Veneer work is $$$!!! Don't tell the wife! I told her it would save money! :gar-La;

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS