vacuum attachment for DW618

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I have been using the new DW618 router for a few days and wanted to share initial results.

The motor is a tight fit in the plunge base as people have said recently, but not so difficult to take it back for exchange. The tightness does make it a bit of a fiddle to align the motor though. First impression of the single spanner (wrench!) collet, is that for hand use I don't like it. If the router was in a table then fine there is something to lever against. I have a freud like this and the shaft lock is great. But on the bench you have to brace the router body against yourself to tighten the collet. First use was a deep mortise and the bit came loose! I ended up using a second spanner to tighten the collet and that worked fine. Second issue is one of ergonomics; the slide lock is a little too low for the thumb of my left hand to exert a lot of pressure on it to lock really well without having to move my whole hand around and up, this could result in the router wandering off course during a cut. This problem caused the router to prematurely lift up causing the bit to bite into my routing template on the way up - new template had to be made:BangHead: No real answer to that one yet except to use the fixed base, but that has no dust extraction. Talking of dust extraction; the hand book says "fits "normal" size vacuum hose" like hell it does! no hose I had on any shop vac would fit. I ended up spending $34 on a 2 1/2" kit with various adaptors before I could come up with anything suitable. The hose I got was "pro-no crush" and is a bit heavy so will need to be suspended by a sky hook while routing.

The on/off switch has to go on the right hand side in this base and that makes the "off" operation towards the operator, not an easy thing to do without some more hand contortions, not something you want to do while the motor is spinning over your precious work. The shroud around the switch make this even more difficult as the switch does not protrude, no doubt by design, but not good.

The plunge action is very, very smooth though.
The softstart and the available power is first class.

The fixed base surprised me my not being able to fully retract inside the base a 1" (or close), cutter without the motor disengaging from the anti rotation pins in the body.

I have not tried the D base yet.

I will keep you posted on anymore thoughts.

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Thanks for the input, David...I've had mine for a week but haven't had a chance to use it yet. ;-)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have been using the new DW618 router for a few days and wanted to share initial results.

First impression of the single spanner (wrench!) collet, is that for hand use I don't like it. If the router was in a table then fine there is something to lever against. I have a freud like this and the shaft lock is great. But on the bench you have to brace the router body against yourself to tighten the collet.

David, try changing your bit with the motor in the base. Lay the router mounted in the base on the work bench and this will give you more weight and something to hold to while tighting the collet. Grab the router with your hand and use the thumb to push in the collet lock while securing the collet. Works fine for me.

T

toolferone

David,

We sell this Porter Cable hose at work which should work well for you. It is very flexiable and a small diameter, so easier to handle. I think it sells for $25.00 PC item number is 39332

B0000222WV.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

DavidF

New User
David
David,

We sell this Porter Cable hose at work which should work well for you. It is very flexiable and a small diameter, so easier to handle. I think it sells for $25.00 PC item number is 39332

B0000222WV.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And that will presumably connect to a standard shop vac that currently used 1 1/4" hose?

DavidF

New User
David
David, try changing your bit with the motor in the base. Lay the router mounted in the base on the work bench and this will give you more weight and something to hold to while tighting the collet. Grab the router with your hand and use the thumb to push in the collet lock while securing the collet. Works fine for me.

Thanks I'll try it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi David,

This simple cradle for the DW618 motor works great for me for bit changes.

IMG_0205.jpg

Took me about 30 Min. to throw together and sure makes holding the spindle lock button, the router motor and the collet wrench at the same time much, much easier!

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
Great idea Wayne, a pity that we have to re-engineer these things for them to work correctly!!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The one end fits right on the plunge base. The other end is 38.1mm id and 43.7mm od.

That looks like the hose I use on my Dewalt ROS (which probably means it's different :lol: ). Small end fits perfectly over the ROS dust port but I couldn't find an adapter to mate the other end to my 4 inch DC hose. I found a reducer with the same size ID and OD as the large end of the PC hose and duct taped it. Been using it for a year now. The reducer was the same size that goes on my router fence dust port.

I was a little bit aggravated at first that I had to spend so much for a hose but must admit that it was money well spent as all of my sanding is now dust-free. The hose is flexible enough that it is very easy to work with.

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David
Come the revolution all will be metric!!!

Thanks everybody for the info. This week end will see some serious use of the router and dust extraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS