Use of Foot Control to Vary Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have a Foredom grinder ..like the ones used to carve with. It has a foot pedal to vary the speed.. It could be unplugged and hooked to other tools easily. .I was wondering could this be used to vary the speed on a lathe with a 120 volt motor on it ? Would it mess up the motor in any way? Thanks

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
As Ken stated, the speed controllers for rotary tools (dremel, Foredom, etc.) and routers are ONLY for use with universal motors. How do you know if a motor is universal or not? If it has brushes and screams like a banshee, it is a universal motor. (Note: brushes are usually the best tipoff, but there are some very old repulsion start induction motors that also have brushes. Fortunately, you're not likely to find such on a modest lathe as the typical repulsion motor would be more massive than the lathe.)

Typically, with lathes, the motor will be either DC or Induction, with the vast majority being induction, which are either 'speed controlled' with differing pulley ratios or variable frequency drives. Pretty much as a rule, those lathes equipped with DC motors (which would otherwise work with your speed controller) already ship with a variable speed controller (and you don't want a speed controller feeding another speed control circuit).

On the other hand, if you do come across a lathe with a universal motor (a cheap HF?) with an appropriate amperage rating, then you could safely (at least with respect to the controller) use your speed controller so long as the lathe also lacked a speed control or soft-start circuit. This said, as someone who has never used a lathe, I'm not sure how safe a lathe with constantly varying speeds might be since I would imagine the speed variations would also alter the aggressiveness of the cut in possibly unexpected [and unsafe?] ways.

Even between universal motors, your speed controller will have a maximum design amperage (and a practical minimum below which it regulates speed poorly) which can not be exceeded lest you destroy the thyristor.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You still have that old Craftsman?
You could probably get the Rikon kit to fit it, but I am not sure it is worth it. VS does spoil you, though; sometimes vibrations are greatly reduced with a small change in speed.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Yeah I still have the old craftsman..With my 3 different size mandrels and the rod to go with it I can turn the flutes I make without any runout at all....If works really good. It would be great to have a nice lathe but under the circumstance not right now. ..Some of my turning tools cost more than the lathe...the mandrels did too ! I would like to turn some bowls but havent tried anything like that with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors