Urgent Review and opinions needed (Revised in original Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Please Review Quickly. I want to post this in the next 30 minutes.

Members; Most members are unaware that there have been many threads and posts lately that have violated the policies of NCWW. The staff spends a lot of time dealing with these threads. Most of these violations of the policy guidelines come from the off topic forum. The off topic forum has been closed several times in the past due to violations and usually happens this time of year. Click here for the last time it was closed. The same guidelines that our founder Steve Coles set forth in this closure will be in effect when we close it this time. This forum is set to be closed for a period of not less than two weeks as the staff evaluates it. The off topic forum was meant for non woodworking topics, or woodworking topics that just did not fit in any other forum. The off topic forum was never meant to be an off color, off policy place to post whatever you wanted to post, even if it violated the policies and spirit of NCWW. Members that continually violate the policy may be suspended and possibly banned. Please review the policies and think before you post. And please do not post your off topic things in other forums during the closure period. Any such posts will be deleted.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Urgent Review and opinions needed

OK, I know some people have been frustrated the past few days about some of the posts, but the tone of this announcement feels overly aggressive. Why share the anger with everyone, considering 95% of the people probably aren't even aware there is a problem? A "reminder" type approach would work better, in my opinion. In addition, we could PM the "usual suspects" directly. Also, before threats are made to close the Off Topic forum, we may want to think that through. Would we be driving off-topic posts to something like User Announcements?

Finally, on banning - have we banned Jeff Mills from the site?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Well put, Tracy!

I agree, completely. It is strong, but I believe that it is required these days.

I support it.

(Just hoping this latest rash of posts in bad taste don't start to spread to any additional forums.)

Wayne

TracyP

Tracy

Passive statements have not worked as of lately. There have been subtle statements made, and subtle statements ignored. The Board feels it is necessary to make a strong statement as to the seriousness of policy violations. I can tweak this, but it needs to be stern at this point. This is not about anger, it is about accountability.

Glennbear

Glenn

I agree with Bas that it could be toned down and I think a closure is not wise. As I have said before recently more agressive moderating may be needed. Whatever the final form of your message a reference/link in your message to the actual Policy Statement cannot hurt for those who have never read it. :wsmile:

cskipper

Cathy

I agree that the majority of the members do not know there is a problem so this is worded a little too strongly. I don't disagree with closing the forum on a temporary basis, but we need to emphasize that shifting these type of threads to other forums won't be tolerated. JMTCW

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

The reason I asked that last question about Jeff being banned is that it might be time for action instead of just posting warnings. Banning the worst offenders would cut down on most of the volatile new threads, the off-color replies, and the bickering that ensues after moderation. I think a reminder now and then is good to inform the new members about the policies, but stern warnings are unlikely to change the behavior of the habitual offenders. Ban them and GET IT OVER WITH.

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy

I will soften the wording before posting.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Tracy, please don't see this as a bash on you, or the board...it's been brewing for a couple of days and while I don't expect it to do any good....I feel the need to say my peace.

I think the whole posting threads to keep members in line is getting over board. I TOTALLY agree with Bas in that 95% of our members has NO idea what is causing this latest rash of "Mind your P's and Q's" threads.

We have a thankless job, we know that. But every time there is a post or two that goes over board it seems we over react and start fueling more fires, instead of putting them out.

I think being more forceful on a public front is going to result in more damage, IMHO it's time to deal more strictly with the members that keep pushing the envelope and do so in private.

The reason we moderate is so that most of the users DON'T see what's gone over the line, but when we run the policy threads it lets EVERYONE of them know that someone has crossed it.

Policy reminders and threads like the one you're wanting to start (probably already have by the time I've had the intestinal fortitude to hit "Reply) are not the threads I want new members to see.

We need to go back to "nipping it in the bud" and doing so quietly. Stop debating so much and just pull the plug on threads. Go back to have a strong hand and stop worrying about where the thread might go and waiting to see if it start's that way before we pull it. While Steve had a heavy, heavy hand, it was needed sometimes. We don't have that hand anymore. There's too much discussion. Sometimes somebody has to come off as the bad guy, and we don't seem to have "that" guy.

--steps down off of soap box and grabs a cupcake my wife just pulled out of the oven--

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

I may be a bit late... was AFK

I agree with Bas. The first pass at wording does sound a bit angry. Since we have moderated the offenses, many of the members will not have seen the offending posts and will not understand the tone of the warning post.

I think if we do take action and ban the worst of the offenders the problem will pretty much disappear.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Tracy, please don't see this as a bash on you, or the board...it's been brewing for a couple of days and while I don't expect it to do any good....I feel the need to say my peace.

I think the whole posting threads to keep members in line is getting over board. I TOTALLY agree with Bas in that 95% of our members has NO idea what is causing this latest rash of "Mind your P's and Q's" threads.

We have a thankless job, we know that. But every time there is a post or two that goes over board it seems we over react and start fueling more fires, instead of putting them out.

I think being more forceful on a public front is going to result in more damage, IMHO it's time to deal more strictly with the members that keep pushing the envelope and do so in private.

The reason we moderate is so that most of the users DON'T see what's gone over the line, but when we run the policy threads it lets EVERYONE of them know that someone has crossed it.

Policy reminders and threads like the one you're wanting to start (probably already have by the time I've had the intestinal fortitude to hit "Reply) are not the threads I want new members to see.

We need to go back to "nipping it in the bud" and doing so quietly. Stop debating so much and just pull the plug on threads. Go back to have a strong hand and stop worrying about where the thread might go and waiting to see if it start's that way before we pull it. While Steve had a heavy, heavy hand, it was needed sometimes. We don't have that hand anymore. There's too much discussion. Sometimes somebody has to come off as the bad guy, and we don't seem to have "that" guy.

--steps down off of soap box and grabs a cupcake my wife just pulled out of the oven--

+1 !!!!!

Dave:)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
At the very least, I'd ask we wait one week on taking this action.

Right now, we are all hot under the collar. I know I am.

Suspending Jeff is a great step, long overdue in my personal opinion.

I side with Phillip that the job of the Moderators is best done when few know it happened.

Jim

toolman

New User
Chad
Close It!! It should of been closed two to three weeks ago!! In the pass after doing this all was quit. just my $.02! :cool:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe the announcement itself should be brief & to the point:
"Due to the abuse & excessive moderation required by many recent posts, the OT Forum will be suspended for 2 weeks. OT Posts found in other Forums will be deleted. If anyone has any questions concerning this, please PM the Administrators or Moderators."
Make it as an announcement & close the Thread. This shouldn't be an invitation to people to go to confession or voice support. We could then send your post as a standard reply without getting into specifics. I think the majority of members will understand & the ones that don't are either new to the forum or chronic offenders anyhow.
I try to enjoy this site as a member & see my role as Moderator as a way to ensure everyone else does too, but when the task of moderation becomes burdensome on us, it negates the benefits we attain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors