UPDATED: Can't decide on contractor TS.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Can't decide on contractor TS.....

Give thought to stretching your budget to include the hybrids/cabs. I have the 22124 on a HTC base and think it's great for a small shop. The first time you knock your table out of alignment, you'll heap praises on cabinet mounted trunnions!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

I have seen several references to the Jet TS at Lowes both here at NCWW and other forums. I am usually in Lowes here in Cary (both locations) as well the Apex store, but have never seen any Jet products? Are Jet stationary power tools only available through special order, or is up to the management of a particular Lowes franchise to cary Jet products?

Thanks,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I would have to say it must be up to the management. My Lowes (I-40 & Hwy. 42) has Jet TS, and air cleaners.
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Wayne,
your local Lowe's may have already discounted and cleared out the one like I got. As I understand it, each store is a corporate store, and these were originally set up as a 'blanket order' for each store. Some locations were able to move them, and reordered, and sold again. Some were not able to move them at all. The saws in the location here had been in the store's inventory for almost TWO years. In fact, this location will also only handle the DeWalt hybrid saw, and similar pieces, by special order, now.

If you check out the tool books, which would be near the Tool World service counter, you can get anything listed in there, including a huge selection of the Jet and Powermatic industrial grade stuff.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Pete did you pick your saw up at the Lowe's on Ramsey St or Skibo Rd? The Ramsey St store carries a wider selection than their Skibo Rd location.

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Ramsey, the Lowe's "superstore". so much bigger than Skibo.

when the Ramsey street store opened, the DeWalt hybrid saw was assembled on the sales floor. I looked at it several times over the period of 5 or 6 months, and the rails were never properly assembled to the table, nor the extension wings, so the fence moved really poorly. wonder how many opportunities were lost because of that? I even mentioned that to a Tool World person back then, and that person said, oh, we have one person that does all of our assembly for us.... Don't think I will ever pay the Lowe's assembly fee after seeing that.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I think it varies from store to store. I know the one in Wake Forest has had them as a guy I work with bought one there.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a 'You should get Jet' thread, just wanted to point out a source for a possible deal.

daclgr

New User
Clark

I bought the same saw for $250. I went to my local Lowes, they were out of stock. The sales clerk in Tool Word check the inventory for me in all of the stores in his system, found one about 40 miles away. There is still a few around. Also found a Cast iron wing, with a new miter gage at the local Woodcraft for another $55. It is a great upgrade from the Craftsman I was using.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Clark, Welcome to NCWW and that is a great tip on asking your local store to check the regional inventory. Thanks for posting it. Please stop by the "Who We Are" forum and give us a brief intro on yourself along with you interests in woodworking.

D L

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Tracy,
Congratulations on having made the decision. For most of us that's a lot of money to drop at one time. As time passes, I suspect you will look back on this purchase and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. A good tool often makes the job easier.
Roy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congrat's Tracy!

I was just looking that 3650 over yesterday and left the BORG wondering why I didn't just save an extra 100 bucks or so and go with it instead of the TS2400! Oh well :eusa_doh: :eyeslam: That's the consequence for me getting over anxious!

I am sure that you will really enjoy it!

Wayne

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
It's really hard making a decision on buying something that you have so many choices and opinions. I'm sure all of the saw would have been very good with each one having different pros & cons, so that what we are here for is to add to the confusion and agony. Good luck with the saw and I hope you like it as much as I do mine.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If your half as pleased as I am with mine, you'll be pure tickled!!. Have fun assembling it, especially with the instructions provided. A couple of tips if you didn't visit the Ridgid forum:

1. The 3 bolts/nuts left over after everything is together are for attaching a sacrificial fence to the T-Slots on the fence
2. Even if the blade is perfectly aligned with the mitre slot, check the trunnion bolts (all 6) Mine were only hand tight as shipped.
3. When adjusting the belt tension, do not move the motor all the way to the top of the slot if the carriage mount bolts contact the mount base. The motor should freely rotate when you squeeze the two sides of the belt together. The weight of the motor on the belt provides the proper tension.
4. If you decide to make your own ZCIs (Zero Clearance Inserts) realize that the 10" blade does not go low enough to clear the bottom of a blank insert. The safest way to do it (not what the instructions say) is to start the cut with a smaller diameter blade (7 1/4 or 8" from a circular saw). Make sure the blank is clamped down before raising the blade into it.

Good luck and get ready to really enjoy making sawdust:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I'm sorry, all these congratulatory comments, and I DON'T SEE NO STINKIN' PICS!!! You don't suck yet, friend. :lol:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
"All I can say for now is....WOW!...:eusa_danc....what have I been missing with the benchtop TS? This thing is quiet and out of the box was cutting great with just a few minor adjustments. I'm thrilled with my choice"

Congrats Tracy,
I'm sure you will grow to appreciate the 3650 even more as you use it. I've had mine since Nov. and it's strongly competing with my truck for my 'mechanical affection'!:eusa_clap
If you haven't already, get a better blade, the one that came with mine sucked. The Forrest WW II is awesome, but the Ridgid T3 Titanium for ~ $40 is very good too.
Soon you'll be 'dressing it out', with a RT extension, etc. We will need pics, you know.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS