UPDATE: Rent a U-Haul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided against the U-Haul, and to transport the band saw on it's spine. So, I made a cradle and pre-assembled some uprights with braces to be installed on site. Then strapped the whole thing in with ratchet tie-downs. The ride went very smoothly.

I'll post picks when I get them re-assembled.

BTW: The guy I bought from in Fayetteville has several other tools in new or next to new condition at GREAT prices, including:

Unisaw - http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/tls/1892627043.html
PM1900 Dust Collector - http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/tls/1892601443.html
10x20 Performax Drum Sander - http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/tls/1892542146.html

I am in negotiations to buy a Powermatic drill press and a Jet 18" band saw.

The problem is that they are 4 hours away. I have a full size pickup but I am concerned about laying the band saw down for a 4 hour ride. I've never even looked at one. Can it be laid down safely? Can it be disassembled to make it easier to transport?

Or should I just plan on renting a U-haul, which is an extra $270?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Re: Rent a U-Haul?

most steel frame BS's can be laid down on the spine and strapped to keep them from rolling over. [not sure with the jet.] I looked at one today and the spine was angled so I don't think I would attempt that. If you had a low trailer you could stand it up and strap it real good.:widea: I would not lay the DP down either.:nah: you wouldnt be headed to fayetteville would ya?:gar-Bi

cpw

New User
Charles

What makes you ask that? Anything to do with a JJP-12?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Well, I reckon I'm gonna be the "Exception":dontknow: again, but I've brought two band saws from the RDU area lyin on their backs, and a drill press from Charlotte in the same position.

I did support the head of the DP with a couple tubafours but other than that, I just strapped them down to prevent them rolling over!! :icon_scra

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Well, I reckon I'm gonna be the "Exception":dontknow: again, but I've brought two band saws from the RDU area lyin on their backs, and a drill press from Charlotte in the same position.

I did support the head of the drillpress with a couple tubafours but other than that, I just strapped them down to prevent them rolling over!! :icon_scra

If I recall the jet has a 45 degree bevel on the back forming a V. could take some 45* blocking with you.:icon_thum

cpw

New User
Charles

That would be great, if I had any way to make 45 degree blocking.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member

can you use a trailer? put one each side over each wheel and strap them down. That way they can be kept vertical?

Rob

New User
Rob

I've hauled both my 18" rikon bandsaw and my 20" shopfox drill press on their backs. No issues. Use straps to keep them from rolling.

On a side note, I do have a trailer if you want to borrow it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

That would be great, if I had any way to make 45 degree blocking.

you could make blocking using one long 2x4 under the spine and 2 or 4 short 2x4's attached to it on each side up against the spine. all you need is something to keep it from turning over as the spine is not square on this saw. use good strong straps. drill press? tame way spanky!:rotflm:

Jim Roche

jim
User

Save the money and buy more tools! I've hauled a few band saws before and the main "watch out" is the trunnions underneath the table. For safe travel, remove the table and trunnions, use some blocking and you could travel with the bandsaw on its side with proper blocking. Laying it on its back is the best, if you can do that. A lot of bandsaw mishaps happen while moving the bandsaw from the shop to the truck, so remove the table and trunnions before attempting to load. The trunnions and table come off fairly easy, so all you'll need is a basic tool kit with sockets and such. Good luck!

PS- Maybe Bob Vaughn will come along and chime in but he has a photo of where he moved 2 Delta/Powermatic bandsaws on their backs in the back of a mini van!

jhreed

New User
james

watch out for the tensioning arm on the band saw, I hauled one with tension arm down and bent the arm. still works but arm wobbles. take plenty of cardboard and use that as a cushion. watch out for knobs and other small easily bent parts and either put them in the up position or cushion with cardboard.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I have also moved a band saw on it's back without issues. Like the other keep it supported. On many floor model drill presses the power head can be removed from the stand so you can transport in two pieces.

Bottom line no u-haul.

DaveD

New User
Dave

As far as the drill press goes i would guess that the head will pull off the column, the table will then come off and the column will unbolt or pull out of the base.

I helped one of the members of this board uncrate a big band saw and it came on the truck fastened down on a pallet on its back/side (don't remember which). It was just braced/blocked under the critical parts for good support.

Take some 2x4's, a saw to cut them, a bunch of 3 to 4" deck screws, a cordless drill to drive them and some decent straps to tie everything down in the truck so it doesn't move and have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS