Two Weekends, a sheet of Plywood, and a gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Finally got the Plywood cart put together. It's from Shop Notes - 10 Plywood Projects. I was lucky to find 23/32 sheathing plywood that was flat, dry, and not too voidy at the Blue Borg.

I did all of the cutting with my trusty DeWalt Circular/Framing/whatever saw and the 100" straight-edge I got for Christmas. This was my first experience putting on casters and drilling shelf holes. ( I shoulda made a jig). I drilled all the holes with my trust DeWalt Drill, and sanded the whole shebang with my trusty DeWalt R.O.S. with 100 grit. OH, and I routed the handles and edge with my trusy Ryobi 1-1/2 hp router. Made me realize I have a pretty good selection of hand-power tools.

I drilled the shelf holes all the way through because it starts to whistle at about 45mph...but the casters are good and straight. It took me two weekends because I kept getting interrupted with beers and basketball games, but it was well worth it.

Now onto the gloat about the "Beast" my Birthday present last year. On its temporary mount:

A Craftsman 1 hp 6 x 9 belt/disc sander. According to the box, it weighs 88 pounds. It'll sand a 2x4 down to a 1x2 in about 45 seconds. Makes short work of any skin blemish. As a scroll-sawyer, I'm not exactly sure what I'm gonna do with this beast, but I know all of the bases will be Flat

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice looking cart Butch, as you said at the start of your post the biggest hassle any more is finding suitable ply .:no: I have a similar sanding beast and you were very accurate in describing how quickly they remove stock. :gar-La;

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
neat project executed nicely! how many sheets of ply did that take?
think I'll look for those plans (or similar) myself. I truly hate the stand one of my sanders is on. it is little short pieces of steel bolted together all over the place. makes me think of a lego kit gone awry
it works but just isn't asethetically pleasing

RayH

New User
Ray
it works but just isn't asethetically pleasing

And if it is like mine it eats up what could be some decent storage space.

As to "skin blemishes", I agree. Mine has given me several on the fingers when dealing with small pieces:cry_smile

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
neat project executed nicely! how many sheets of ply did that take?
think I'll look for those plans (or similar) myself.

That's the beauty of it - it's a one-sheet project.

I think this one was also in a 2006 issue of Shop Notes.

There are two or three different versions in different magazines.

For example, the top of mine is held on with angle brackets. There's another one that used pocket screws (hence the Kreg Kit I also got for my birthday).

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Don!!!!

I built me two of these stands. I have the Ridgid Oscillating sander on one and the DW735 planer on the other. I sure like the storage cubbies on the sides and underneath.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Pretty simple to build, but strong and very maneuverable with the swivel/locking casters!:wsmile::wsmile:

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work on the shopcart Butch. :icon_thum That sander looks hardcore too. Nice score! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Two Weekends, a sheet of Plywood, and a gloat

Sounds like one of my old relationships. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors