Turning a mistake into something useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
My first drawer using locking rabbit joints, turned out great, except for I mis-measured. Measured 22", had 24" on the brain. Didn't figure out until I actually put the drawer in. I just figured it was practice. This morning I was looking at it and had this idea. I do most of my finishing in the spare bedroom off of my shop, and had stains just stacked on top of each other. Some scrap wood, practice drawer, now it's a design feature.

shelf1.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well if you hadn't told us it was an oversized drawer, I would have thought you just made a nice wall shelf.
Way to think outside of the drawer opening :icon_thum
I have two cabinet doors that I am waiting for the right size carcass to come along so I can use them :BangHead:

Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice save Rob. That is a pretty bodacious size, was it originally destined for a dresser ? :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Man that's a big drawer? What were you planning to store in there, a table saw? Anyway, it came out looking great, congrats on the first successful lock rabbet joint - ain't it sweet?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice recovery!:icon_thum but I hope that bottom shelf is glued REAL tight! I just did a desk and all 4 drawers were done with a drawerlock bit. unfortunatel I was apparently confused at the time and milled the drawerlocks backards!:gar-Bi so I added a few brads~!!!!:rotflm:

Rob

New User
Rob
It was actually going to be in a tool chest on wheels that I'm building, shop storage.

Bas, those locking rabbit joints work great. Easy way to build drawers.

Fred, glue up is pretty stout, had it not I would have taken it apart and rebuilt it. :BangHead:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob, scrollers learn early on that there are no mistakes. We call them design modification. So on that note, that is a very NICE wall unit you designed and built.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Sheesh , I couldn't build one that nice on purpose much less as a [strike]mistake[/strike] design modification

it's always nice to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat :mrgreen:

good save man :icon_thum :eusa_clap :icon_thum :eusa_clap :icon_thum :eusa_clap

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very nice and useful save. That looks like it was made for that spot.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Sheesh , I couldn't build one that nice on purpose much less as a [strike]mistake[/strike] design modification

it's always nice to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat :mrgreen:

good save man :icon_thum :eusa_clap :icon_thum :eusa_clap :icon_thum :eusa_clap

Ain't it so, Big Man! If I built something that nice I'd post the pics and bust my gallosses!!

Nice job. I need to look into that locked rabbit. How do you catch one?? I genn'ly like 'em fried!!

:rotflm:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ain't it so, Big Man! If I built something that nice I'd post the pics and bust my gallosses!!

Nice job. I need to look into that locked rabbit. How do you catch one?? I genn'ly like 'em fried!!

:rotflm:

Roasted by the fire for me with red pepper and vinegar. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS