Turned a bowl Friday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
and three more Saturday. Kiln dried hard maple, plain grained but nice shapes.

IMG_02953.JPG

These are going to Japan.

And my daughter told me tonight that she wants some to take for gifts to her Japanese host families.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
and three more Saturday. Kiln dried hard maple, plain grained but nice shapes.

IMG_02953.JPG

These are going to Japan.

And my daughter told me tonight that she wants some to take for gifts to her Japanese host families.

Very Nice, I have always liked maple! Great Job!

Now I do think the back one should be turned upside down for some reason, it kind of looks like a top or lid for some reason???:icon_scra Ahh what do I know??? :dontknow:

Matthew

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Mike your shapes are very nice
maple has always been one of my favorite woods
it just lends itself to turning
seems to be getting harder to find thick kd wood around here
what finish did you use on these?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mike those look great - :icon_thum Where did you get your Maple - I have been trying to find some KD that thick -

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This make a grand total of ten bowls that I have turned in my life, the first two were twenty two years ago. I have a big stack of walnut waiting to be turned and I'm looking for some more interesting wood to turn.

This maple came from Vermont, I have a friend that comes South about once a year and sometimes brings me maple wood or syrup.

They don't have any finish yet, I'm thinking about either waxing them or spraying Deft.

The little one is supposed to look like a flower bud, if I have time I will do some more work on it.

The largest, on the right, is 7" x 3" high and the small one is 4 1/2" x 3".

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Mike. :icon_thum I really like the shape of those. That is a great gesture too. I'm going to turn a few bowls to give to the folks who own the villa we'll be staying in in Costa Rica in a few months.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Mike, great shapes, I like to try to come up with as many shapes as I can. I like the way you have some abrupt edges on the one in the back by the green vase, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good lookin' bowls :thumbs_up

I hope they didn't put to much strain on that little lathe of your's !!! :wink_smil

pete

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice! I find myself eyeing listings for bowl gouges lately though I claim not to turn bowls either...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You have a great eye for the shapes ... beautiful. The hardest part of turning is making a pleasing shape and you've got it mastered!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very nice! I find myself eyeing listings for bowl gouges lately though I claim not to turn bowls either...

I use one tool all the way through and I made it myself. You don't need hundreds of dollars worth of tools to make bowls.

Now, from what I have seen hollow forms are another matter. I'm staying away from that for now.

Thanks for the compliments everybody, it helps to be an artist first and a turner second. It's kinda like a printer told me one time, he said he could teach me to print in no time. He said it would be easy because I already knew what looks good, all he had to do was teach me how to make it happen. Most people have to learn what looks good first and most never do.

I'm beginning to get to the point that i can see the bowl when I pick up a piece of wood, for the first bowls I just turned until something started to take shape. Now I can see the bowl in the wood and go straight to it, sometimes I have to make design changes due to cracks, holes, knots or slips. But I can see where I'm going when I cut the blank.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hey nice work,I like em all, :icon_cheersdon't stop now,now that you got the lathe warmed up an the tools sharp.You are slowly but surely get sucked deep into the vortex,where there is no hope for return. We are waitin with the milk an cookies :gar-La; :gar-La; :gar-La;

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I thought I would show them with the spray finish, it was really hot Sunday and the spray dried too fast, but they are OK.

I did a little cutting on the flower bowl, a bit of foreshadowing of things to come.

IMG_03042.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS