Trio of cutting boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got a commision. One cutting board to commemerate a graduation (a year ago) and two to be purchased to give as gifts. Here's todays labor...a trio of cutting boards

Cuttingboardtrio008.jpg

Cuttingboardtrio003.jpg

Cuttingboardtrio001.jpg

Cuttingboardtrio002.jpg

They have all just been coated with their first coat of mineral oil and it's not liking the flash. But you get the idea :-D

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice DaveO, you have a knack for mixing the contrasting woods. How thick are they?

Sapwood

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Nice looking boards! Did you get them engraved with a laser? They came out great! Keep 'em coming!! :eusa_clap

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Another great looking set of cutting boards Dave. I really like the one with the alternating bands in the middle.:icon_thum

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Don't tell me; a couple hours each? knocked up in an afternoon -sickening:lol: Nice job.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The engraving was done at a trophy place. The girl who I am making the board for took a round blank that I had made and had it laser engraved and I inlayed it in to the board.
The boards are just under 1¼" thick and approximately 10½ x 15".
I would guess that I started on them around 12:00 and posted the pictures by 10:00 so about 3 hours a piece including dry time for the glue :-D

cpowell

New User
Chuck
DaveO said:
The engraving was done at a trophy place. The girl who I am making the board for took a round blank that I had made and had it laser engraved and I inlayed it in to the board.
I would guess that I started on them around 12:00 and posted the pictures by 10:00 so about 3 hours a piece including dry time for the glue :-D

Geesh...three hours each...a bad case of the flu or what?? :lol: :lol:

They look great. I also like the one with the alternating bands (walnut/maple??) and the engraved version looks SWEET!!

OK, I'm pretty clueless about the technique for inlaying the round insert (particularly the part where the joint is seamless). But I think it looks way too cool!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The one with the alternating Walnut/Maple bands is my favorite also. I had planned to do a horse head inlay (the recipient loves horses) but I like the pattern too much to muck it up with something else.
The inlay is very simple. There are two ways to do it. The first is with a inlay bushing kit for the router, which really makes perfect seamless inlays. The second and how I did this one, is trace the inlay piece on to the board and very carefully free-hand route out the recess. I get within a 1/16 of the line and then pare up to it with a chisel. This method isn't as perfect as using the router kit, but a little CA glue and saw dust hides any imperfections.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

The boards are beautiful. The speed at which you work and turn out this art, makes me think I'm going backwards. Great job

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It is sickening isn't it? I spent three hours in the shop Saturday night to get ticked off and go in the house....

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Hey Dave, was that at Mort's in Raleigh? I've had them do some stuff for me on some pens. The boards look great.

Tom

DaveO said:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm not really sure where she got the laser engraving done. I recommended Things Remembered, but they said that they couldn't do work like that. I guess they only engrave things that they sell :roll:
I will have to ask her where, because I've seen this subject come up before, and they did a good job. Although I wish the engraving was deeper, I didn't have any room to sand the inlay flush.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Very nice work Dave. Always good to make some cash off your hobby, helps pay for new tools! Work that nice usually leads to additional projects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors