Trinity Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I finally got around to updating the 'Pens' section of my gallery and wanted to highlight one or two additions.

This one I titled 'Trinity' as the upper barrel is 'adorned' with three captured rings to represent the Holy Trinity. It is made on Slimline hardware with Bethlehem Olivewood. It was given to the director of the Christian-based pre-school where we are sending our children.

Please post critiques of the pen...I'm posting the pic in hopes of improving, so don't be shy.

Teacher_Pens_06_042.jpg

Chris

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
..right, I left the clip off of this pen. Typically, I think pens look more 'finished' or complete with the clip. I felt that I had a lot more opportunity with this one if I planed to leave the clip off from the beginning.

Chris

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've not done much turning so forgive me if this is a stupid question. How did you get the rings sanded and polished once they were free from the pen?

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Excellent question, actually. While presumably obvious to some, :eusa_thinit took me a while to figure out myself..as with everything else :) What you need to do is carve out the ring to the point that it just *starts* to give....but, before it breaks free, you finish just the ring. I did that for each ring. Then when I detached the rings, I sanded and finished the rest of the pen, simply moving the rings out of the way as I worked a 'section'. Pretty simple once you know that, huh :)

Cheers,
Chris

MikeH

New User
Mike
Excellent question, actually. While presumably obvious to some, :eusa_thinit took me a while to figure out myself..as with everything else :) What you need to do is carve out the ring to the point that it just *starts* to give....but, before it breaks free, you finish just the ring. I did that for each ring. Then when I detached the rings, I sanded and finished the rest of the pen, simply moving the rings out of the way as I worked a 'section'. Pretty simple once you know that, huh :)

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the info! It's a great looking pen. I hand carved two cedar chain links when I was younger. It was a lot of fun and I wish I knew where it was. If I find it I will be sure and post a picture or two.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I thought about doing that myself a while back. Nice job.

One think would improve the look of the pen in my book is for the top end of the pen to not have the top. You can make a blank with only the tube exposed on one end and then turn something neat for the top part. Basically you'll need to turn a jam chuck that you can put the blank on with tube to turn instead of using the mandrel If you leave extra stock at the top you can use the Tailstock to keep the blank in place while turning if your jam chuck is a little loose. If you check IAP I'm sure you'll see how to to closed end pens. :). I do like the concept. The closed end for the top will get rid of your size limiation at the top and open your design options up.

Good Job dude,

John

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow...that's great advice..hadn't thought of that! I've seen the pix of close ended pens, but have not ventured to that....yet :)

Chris

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:icon_thum :icon_thum Chris you get 2 thumbs up for this one a way cool pen :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS