Trimming doors- simple X-cut sled mod *w/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
After the trouble I had trimming the last set of doors for my backbench upper cabinets I decided there must be a better way. So I made a simple, temporary mod to my X-cut sled that does the trick. Since my sled has a low (slightly > 3/4" high) fence I was able to mount a piece of ply to the top of the fence with two screws. I then ran the sled through the blade to make a blade cut registration edge.

I made the doors so they would fit snuggly, top to bottom, and slightly oversized in width. I mounted them with hinges to the cabinet then used a pencil and straight edge to mark the tops and bottoms and the door overlap to get the desired gap. I put the door on the sled and aligned the lines I had drawn with the registration edge. I did not use the sled fence. There was enough common surface that it only took a little pressure to hold the door in place. It made trimming the doors easy. Once trimmed I used the jointer to put a slight 3 deg. back bevel on the adjoining doors. Here is the sled mod. The doors are pictured in my shop progress post.

Here I've just cut the (scrap piece of beadboard) ply to establish the blade registration edge:

Trim-1.JPG

Here is a door set in on the sled/jig ready to be trimmed:

Trim-2.JPG

T

toolferone

That works for me. Very simple and straight forward. Nice job!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Nice idea for cutting slight/custom tapers, Alan! That one's getting filed in the back of the old noggin! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS