Transferring patterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Anyone know of an easier way to transfer a pattern to the wood other than carbon/graphite paper. Most of the carvings I do aren't that complicated, but I'm looking at some more detailed work that will require some time to trace.

Thanks.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
If the file is on your computer and you have software that allows it, create a reverse or "mirror" image. Print on a laser printer and just iron the image onto your wood.
Good luck,

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I am not a carver but could you attach the patterns by printing them out and using spray adhesive to attach them to the wood like we do for fretwork pieces? Steve

skeeter

New User
Charles
If the file is on your computer and you have software that allows it, create a reverse or "mirror" image. Print on a laser printer and just iron the image onto your wood.
Good luck,

This works great. Ink jet printers will not work, must use one with toner.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another technique is to use a "star" wheel. Lay the drawing over another sheet of paper and roll the wheel over it. It will put little puncture marks through the paper which can then be followed, or you can lay the punctured drawing on the wood and dust it with chalk, the chalk going through the holes. The "chalk" technique is used by sign painters when transferring a complex pattern onto a surface you don't want marred, like the name on a yacht transom, or some of the custom car paint designs. Best way to apply the chalk is to load up a cotton/muslin bag with it and then tap it against the drawing.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS