Tracks Across Africa Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I have a friend who has been hunting for a good part of his life. He makes annual trips out west to hunt bigger game and really enjoys participating in advanced tracking and hiking to locate a target. Recently, he was given the once in a lifetime opportunity to ride along (not hunt) with a friend of his who was going on a hunt in Africa.

The gentleman who was to hunt was participating in a big game hunt that was filmed as a part of "Gander Mountain's Tracks Across Africa". Craig Boddington (http://www.craigboddington.com/) was only present for one day of this particular hunt, but the entire hunt was captured for airing sometime in the next year (???) After many days of tracking herds, the team finally located an elder Cape Buffalo that was a good target.

After the buffalo was brought down and the hunter noted that he was disappointed that he had forgotten to collect his brass in all of the excitement. My friend didn't say a word as he had secretly collected the brass and had it in his pocket. When back at camp, he then collected some firewood that was cut from the thick brush through with the team had been hiking over the past week. It was mopane, which is used for smoking food in Africa.

When he arrived back in the states, my friend gave me the honor of making a 'trophy' pen for the hunter. This was really a cool request for me! This is how it turned out. The hardware is from a Jr. Gent with the nib off of a Jr Statesman. I was very excited with the end product....

AfricanHunt2.jpg

AfricanHunt1.jpg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice pen, And an honor it must have been to make the trophy pen. I'll bet he was pleasantly surprised.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sweet pen, I really like how you modified the casing to work with the kit and adapted the parts to make it come together.
Eagle would be proud :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum
I am interested in hearing the "hunter's" reaction to it. I am sure it's like nothing he's ever seen. Probably the most practical hunting trophy around.
Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
You have done an outstanding job on this pen. I can't believe the fit and finish. Kudos to you and the lucky recipient. :eusa_clap

Chris, I'm with Dave on this one! Would you please share any tips with us? I have some shells collected from the military honors of my grandfather's funeral service last year. They're too special to experiment with. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Keep up the amazing work.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Very nice work! It's always cool to work on a project that has special meaning. The hunter will be be absolutely amazed. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS