Top half WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
The top half in work now, starting the build up on the brute and using the HF lathe to clean the rings up (I am still using the HF lathe). Dont look at the mess in the shop.
sun_wip00029.JPG

Got to keep my tools sharp, real sharp for this.
IPE cuts easy, this is the shavings
sun_wip00027.JPG

First row of open segments
sun_wip00032.JPG

Coming along nice now, starting to look knobby.
sun_wip00034.JPG

Rings are getting way too big to clean up on the HF lathe now, I can only go to 16" on it.
sun_wip00037.JPG

Almost there, really knobby looking now, its going to be fun to turn
sun_wip00038.JPG

Finished turning the inside and got it between centers to turn the outside, the top and bottom are not glued together, I will turn the outside, finish turning the inside sand it and put finish on the inside, then glue them together, and finish the outside.
sun_wip00041.JPG

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Earl, Looking good, but you forgot several (about half, or every other) of the pieces. :rotflm:

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
I'll check it when finished, it weighs a ton now.

Earl,
This is sort of off topic. I noticed that you have a Grizzly 0694 lathe. I was looking at them and wondered if they were any good. How do you like yours? Is it powerful enough? Quality? Oh, and your work here is mind boggling. I'll be interested in seeing more progress on this vessel. Thanks.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Earl,
This is sort of off topic. I noticed that you have a Grizzly 0694 lathe. I was looking at them and wondered if they were any good. How do you like yours? Is it powerful enough? Quality? Oh, and your work here is mind boggling. I'll be interested in seeing more progress on this vessel. Thanks.

When I got the lathe I was thinking about getting the PM 3520 I had seen a few in different shops and how they preformed but because of the price difference i got the g0694, I am sure glad I did.

1. its 3 hp, it's got the exact same drive, motor and pulleys that the big pm 4224 has, and I do mean exact.

2. Its 850 lbs every thing is much heaver thicker and stronger.

3. the machined surfaces are perfect, the bed is wider giving you more surface for the tail stock, banjo, steady rest ect. to ride/mount on. the tool rest post is 1 1/4' like I said heavy and strong

4. the bearings are a big step up, it uses tapered roller bearings like fine metel working lathes or the big wood lathe's like the vicmarc

5. the face plate does not have a set screw to tighten it on the shaft (threads) it uses a locking collar that fits over the base of the face plate and locks it with 4 set screws, the collar is irremovable if you should need it out of the way.great system.

the down side
of course it doesnt have as nice a paint job as some, and it doesnt have a scale etched in the tail stock quill ( I have never used that anyway). the head stock dosnt move but out board turning is no problem at all. the bearings have to be greased 1 time a year, but that only took me 30 mins to do.

I love it smooth quite powerful the speed will run down to 15 rpm on mine

Too bad your not closer you could check it out and see for your self

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
Thanks for the reply. I am getting close to pulling the plug on the G0694. The only thing that is holding me back at the moment is some health issues that I still need to get a handle on. Soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS