Tool name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
What is the tool called that you knock out he chuck on the lathe? Mine did not come with one and I need to find one so I can change the chuck.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you talking about a chuck on a morse taper adapter, or a large jaw chuck threaded onto the headstock?

Dragon

New User
David
It's common name is: Chuck-Knocker-Outer. I have no idea what it's botanical name is. Yeah, I've had waaaay tooooo much coffee tonight and have no business on the keyboard.
:banana::XXcompute:banana::XXfridge:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I call mine a #3 Philips screwdriver. :gar-La;
If it has threads on the opposite end it's called a draw shaft I believe. Commonly used to hold morse taper shafts or draw collets in place.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I think it's it's called a knockout bar... though that might not be the "official" name for it....

Trav

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
knock out bar.:icon_thum all you need is a 1/4" rod long enough to reach [12" should do it on a ssmall lathe] and turn a knob to put on the end. a little epoxy will keep it there or you can turn the knob and drill a slightly smaller hole in it and beat it on with a hammer.:gar-Bi

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Quickest solution is find out the hole diameter--stick in a drill end of the largest diameter to determine size. Jump on your snowmobile and tear down to the hardware store and buy a piece of drill rod, or keystock, or long bolt that will fit through the bore, tear back home and insert the newly purchased "thingy knocker outer" and tap it with a hammer. You can then turn a piece of harwood, bore the appropriate size hole in it, and expoxy it on the end of your new, innovative "DRIFT PUNCH." Didn't get one with any of my lathes either.:rolf:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
i don't believe I've ever seen one come with any tool or chuck. If you had a drill press that used a morse taper spindle it would have a slot into which you'd insert a tapered wedge to knock it out.
If you must have one, get a piece of brass rod small enough to go into the spindle bore. It will be more forgiving than a steel rod.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
I call mine a #3 Philips screwdriver. :gar-La;
If it has threads on the opposite end it's called a draw shaft I believe. Commonly used to hold morse taper shafts or draw collets in place.

I could not find anything in my shop long enough to knock out the chuck, I had a piece of rebar but it was too large in diameter, longest screw driver was too short.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
It is called a drill drift. That is the flat wedge-shaped piece you stick in the slot. The piece you drive in against the shoulder around the edge is called a morse taper wedge, and comes in different sizes. You use this if the bit/chuck goes beyond the slot, or if there is no slot.

HTH.

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is called a drill drift

Go
Haven't heard that term used in a loooooong time. It sounds right, though. Must have come from BITD when lathes used larger drill bits with morse taper shanks. Still got a few myself.

Dragon

New User
David
I could not find anything in my shop long enough to knock out the chuck, I had a piece of rebar but it was too large in diameter, longest screw driver was too short.

"Honey........I gotta run down to the (insert favorite tool retailer) to get this here thingamajiggy so I can play with my lathe some more. I'll make ya sumpthin' pretty when I get back........."

Man can never have too many tools.........

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
It is called a drill drift. That is the flat wedge-shaped piece you stick in the slot. The piece you drive in against the shoulder around the edge is called a morse taper wedge, and comes in different sizes. You use this if the bit/chuck goes beyond the slot, or if there is no slot.

HTH.

Go

Thanks, I just found this http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Pro...productid=43614&typeId=10618&documentId=30202

They just call it a knock out bar for only $10.11 and it is in stock.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
i don't believe I've ever seen one come with any tool or chuck. If you had a drill press that used a morse taper spindle it would have a slot into which you'd insert a tapered wedge to knock it out.
If you must have one, get a piece of brass rod small enough to go into the spindle bore. It will be more forgiving than a steel rod.

+1 on that

I use a hardwood dowel, easy to find a replacement almost anywhere. Also won't damage the shaft or bore.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nothing more then a steel rod with a knob handle. Bet you can made your own for under $3.00. Any hardware store or BORG will have the steel rod.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
One came with my jet lathe and there is a hole in the cast iron base to store it. I lost it anyway and used a wooden dowel until I found it. It is made of steel with a black plastic ball on one end.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Correct terminology according to Jet is "drift rod"
I promise a hardwood dowel will work.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS