Tool Chest - Finished!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
A couple of weeks ago, I posted pictures of my Tool Cabinet (red oak) after I completed the construction phase. Today, I am very happy to be posting pictures of the finished cabinet. All things considered, I am very pleased with the results. As for the finish details, I started out with a single coat of BLO, followed by two coats of Watco Danish Oil (clear, then dark walnut...I wanted to achieve a little more of a dark honey tone). After the oil cured three days, I started putting on coats of wipe-on poly, six total. Since the coats are so thin I sanded (320 grit) only after coats 2 and 4. After the final coat (#6), I used 0000 steel wool.

A big "Thank You" is extended to Scott Smith for his advice and assistance with wood and wood selection. In truth, the project would have looked a whole lot better had I not messed up some of the original boards that Scott help me select. In retrospect, I should have been more patient and gone back to Scott for an additional board or two...but at the time I was aggravated and anxious to move on (I learned a lesson here). Also, Joe Scharle has been a great source of experience and encouragement. As a relative beginner, I am very appreciative for the entire NCWW community for your input and encouragement, and I am especially appreciate these two gentlemen.

Oblique_view.JPG

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

:eek:ccasion1
Donn

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The cabinet came out really, really nice Donn. Now you have a place to store all those newly sharpened chisels and planes. :gar-Bi

Bill

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Don,

Very very nice work. I too like the "Shaker" Style doors.

Your project required a lot of skill and patience to make it as nice as yours.

You should feel proud of this accomplishment.

Cabinet hardware always a challenge, as well as "finishing"

Congrats

M

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very nice work there, Donn!:eusa_danc

That finish looks flawless and should stand up to shop abuses for a long time.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors