too much fresh poplar (or maybe not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
EDIT - I posted another thread after a day or two because it started to become evident that the "sweetgum" might actually be sweetgum after all. It isn't as dark as I expected though. Anyway, closing this thread as it seems I don't have a massive amount of poplar after all.

I am lousy scrounger; twice recently I have picked up some poplar when I thought I was getting something else. Once was sweetgum; when the fresh cut the rounds had the dramatically darker center I felt certain I was getting wood out of the right pile. But when I split a couple yesterday, it became obvious it is poplar. I also recently stopped where someone had mystery wood and - you guessed it - poplar. Anyway, I went ahead and split (carefully with wedges) and debarked some and coated the ends. I figured I would use it while I am still learning to turn woodwinds even though it isn't a prime choice for that and make a few carving blanks. But a little goes a long way.

Anyway, I have a few that I am willing to share. They are split pieces ranging about 1' to 2' in length, about 8" to 12" at the thickest, debarked and the ends are sealed. I also have a couple of bark on rounds (would take 5 minutes to debark) about 2' in diameter with the ends sealed. If you have the cutting capacity, there are nice big bowl blanks without a lot of additional effort required.

I am in Cary.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Re: too much fresh poplar

That's a generous offer Andy. But you've already given me all the poplar logs I can fit in my shop. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

CarvedTones

Andy

That's why I posted instead of PM'ing you. I still have the other half log of the mystery wood that looked so interesting when we cut spindle blanks out of it set aside. I need to take some closeups of what we found inside the first half. I rough turned a woodwind blank out of on of the pieces and it really looks purty...

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Andy what kind of wood are you hoping to find, and what sizes?
Got more poplar than the law ought to allow here, but other things show up
and maybe we can direct some your way...

CarvedTones

Andy

Andy what kind of wood are you hoping to find, and what sizes?

Maple, beech and cherry are what I really want most. It will get cut into spindle stock that will be turned to cylinders 1" to 2" in diameter, 12" to 20" in length. Woodwind blanks for making historically inspired (medieval and ren) whistles, recorders and flutes.

If you salvage wood, poplar is easy to come by. But I figured someone might be interested since a lot of the work is done.

Dragon

New User
David

Same here. I got Poplar running out my ears; from 1" saplings to 30"+ whoppers. Got a good bit that I cut down last year and left laying to dry/spalt. Some of that is now put up off the ground to finish drying and then I'll see what I can do with it.

CarvedTones

Andy

Yeah, I was thinking of spalting some, but I already have a several spalted blanks waiting for my attention and they are all fairly small as I don't have a large lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors