Tonight's Work: Bowl Blank Prep w/ Ci1 & Ci2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Almost 2 years ago I chopped down two bradford pear trees in our front yard. I kept the main base section of one of them (the other is at PeteM's house, I think). Anyway, tonight I finally decided to cut them down a bit and actually turn them rough-way to bowls.

All of this was done from rough tree chunk thru chainsaw, bandsaw prep, and rough-out in about 2 hours. That's pretty short time, if you ask me. Most of the time savings came because of the Ci1 and Ci2 tools. Holy smokes do those carbide cutters remove some wood!

Here's some pictures of the progress. Hopefully in a couple months I can finish them off.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The carbide cutters really are fast. Two hours is some very quick time. The bowls are going to be nice.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Shop elves alert!! :eek: :nah:

That's movin along if you ask me. Doug had one of those and swore by it too.

I had bradford pear split about a year ago. I didn't know it was usable. Judging from your pics it looks pretty cool. :dontknow:

Chuck

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Jeremy:

Just curious, how much time did you spend with each of the Ci1 and Ci2? Does the Ci2 add much benefit?

Thanks,

Doug

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I think Jeremy has officially been kidnapped by the darksiders-All these bowls, peppermills, and pens. The he goes and makes his own curved corbels. And then to top it all off he goes and buys, that's right I said buys(not makes) his workshop cabinets! Have the flatsiders lost the Woodwrangler :help::help::help: Jeremy needs an intervention:gar-La;.

All humor aside those do look awesome.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Jeremy:

Just curious, how much time did you spend with each of the Ci1 and Ci2? Does the Ci2 add much benefit?

Thanks,

Doug

I used the Ci1 to do a majority of the work, though the Ci2 could have done it too. The Ci2 came in handy for the chuck tenon because I have a straight carbide cutter loaded in the Ci2, and slightly curved in the Ci1. I also used the Ci2 to start the plunge cut into the middle of the inside of the bowl. It was just a bit easier because it was smaller, I guess.

I have mainly been using the Ci2 for tenons though, and also as a rougher on smaller things. However, if I didn't have that Ci2, I could have done everything with the Ci1, I'm sure.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I had bradford pear split about a year ago. I didn't know it was usable. Judging from your pics it looks pretty cool. :dontknow:

The bradford pear turns beautifully. I actually like the appearance of the wood too in board form (if you can keep it straight). So when those split, or get cut down ... DO NOT toss them! :cool:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Almost 2 years ago I chopped down two bradford pear trees in our front yard. I kept the main base section of one of them (the other is at PeteM's house, I think).

I think its still here. There is some dogwood, cherry and the pear. At the time neither of us had a use for them so we decided that whoever wanted to make something out of them could take what they needed. I split one log for spoon blanks (not sure if it was the dogwood or the pear). If you want to check out what's there come on down.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS