Today's Walnut & Oak Wood Haul *w/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I helped my local wood guy and sawyer slab up some Walnut, White Oak, and Beech today.

This isn't my stuff but I directed the cuts and can have the pick of it. I will likely do some bartering- a cabinet for some wood. We slabbed most of the larger Walnut logs (pics posted previously) but still have some smaller logs left, though they may not be worth spending Woodmizer time on.

The Walnut logs yielded about 900 bft of some really nice stuff. I was going to have the sawyer leave it with natural edges to maximize yield, but there was plenty there and it was just as easy to have him trim it into cants before sawing. Most pieces were clear. Widths averaged 12" with some slabs over 20" wide. Lengths varied from as short as 3' to over 13', all of it good stuff. The stack on the right side of the truck was some really beautiful clear 4/4 12" wide by 5' long Walnut. While most was cut 4/4 we cut five 8/4 X 10" wide X 10' long planks.

Next we quartered some white oak. We used method one from a previous post so have a mix of wide (16"+) planks with pith and narrower planks (6"+) with the narrow planks having a mix of riff and quarter sawn grain. Since we had to take a break from sawing hardwood to fill some requests for dimensional pine lumber, the QSWO yield was only about 500 bft. We never got to the main pile of white oak logs which will likely yield another 1000 - 2000 bft of QSWO- something for another day.

We also cut two of the smaller Beech logs into 8/4 as an experiment for me- to see if the wood will be good enough for a workbench top. While reference sources differ, American Beech (1300) is close, but not as hard as Hard Maple (1450) or European Beech (1430). It falls between Red Oak (1290) and White Oak (1360). I'll need to see if there are any special drying requirements. He has some huge (36"+ diam.) Beech logs but they will need to be chainsaw halved or quartered just to get them on the mill.

If anyone has a need for any of this stuff and wants to make a trip out to Washington, let me know. If you buy some wood, you get a free tour of my shop. :lol::lol:

Monday everything will be swept, stickered, and stacked in a barn loft. I guess I had better get busy on the kiln.
:-D:-D:-D:-D

Here are the pics:

Stack of primo Walnut:

Walnut-3.JPG

Some of the wide walnut planks:

Walnut-4.JPG

Walnut-5.JPG

Walnut-6.JPG

The partial haul. QSWO on the left- Walnut on the right.

Walnut-7.JPG

dozer

Mike
Alan's got wood :lol: :lol: Seriously that is a really nice haul Alan I would be interested in what you find out about the Beech for making a bench.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, that's a nice load of wood you got there, Alan. I only wish I had some room for some of that walnut. Gotta clear out some of my existing stock first. :)

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Oh yeah, that's a haul! And a lot of future projects :cool:

Looking forward to the kiln progress,
Roger

J

jeff...

Glad to see lumber come from those logs - great haul great way to treecycle :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS