Time to dive in (an introduction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

New member of the forum and soon to be (with any luck) woodworker in the Cary/RTP area. Currently a road warrior with one of the three lettered IT firms in the area so woodworking is going to be a hobby (as time permits) for now with the hope it becomes an addiction. Right now I'm in the tool research phase and starting the process of planning the shop (part of a 2.5 car garage and crawlspace) and trying not to let my 'oh look, shiny!!' urges get the better of me.

I have to admit, with what I've read in the forums so far I think I've stumbled upon a treasure trove of people and skills (hope you don't mind *lot's* of dumb questions).

Bob

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome Bob! We love to spend other people's money! Before you buy anything, be sure to post for opinions, It's a near guarantee that someone on this site already has one, and can give you the goods and bads. Ask all the questions you want here. Loads of help is availiable for the askin.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bob, welcome!!!! Thanks for the introduction, it's nice to meet you. I second Clay's thoughts on inquiring about any new tool purchase here before buying, you will not only get advice but there is probably a member close to you that will give you a hands on test of the machine they think is best or that you are thinking of getting. And the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. So don't be shy.
See you around!!!

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Bob,

A number of folks here in the Cary/Raleigh and Apex area to help you out!!!!:lol: :rolf:

I too am a newbie and thoroughly enjoy this bunch of gals and guys!They provide a ton of good information and excellent guidance when it comes to buying new toys ('r tools).

I am in Cary and always willing to assist members unloading new tools and nice lumber. Just PM me and I am always available to assist! (recently retired:rolf: )

Look forward to your posts!

Have Fun!!

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Bob, welcome to NCWW. I am glad you could join us here. Your initial assessment of this site is right on the money. It truly is a treasure trove of information. There are a lot of great folks here willing to answer questions and over advice.

D L

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Bob. We will all do everything we can to make you welcome and to improve your knowledge of our favorite pastime with fairness and objectivity. We know this is the best woodworking site on the web and welcome your questions -- you'll be a contributor just by asking, as others will learn with you.

Rob

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
Welcome aboard Bob! No lack of opinions here on how you should spend you're money - just remember its yours, not ours (darn it!). Make sawdust, have fun, be safe!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the NCWW website. You'll love it here. The terrific folks here certainly have helped me. Don't forget to request a photo album so you can upload pics of your shop, your projects, whatever. Lots of us look through the albums to get ideas and get inspired to try projects that others have tried.

Ray

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Bob,

Welcome to the group. You will soon learn what the Woodguy disease is. While some of us will try to help you keep your tool purchases reasonable, others will encourage bigger purchases:lol:. We'll do all we can to help you pick the right tools for your needs.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome. I see no reason to resist the urges for those "shiny" things. I do it all the time:eusa_danc

dozer

Mike
Durnik said:
To all,

and trying not to let my 'oh look, shiny!!' urges get the better of me.

I have to admit, with what I've read in the forums so far I think I've stumbled upon a treasure trove of people and skills (hope you don't mind *lot's* of dumb questions).

Bob

Bob welcome to the site and just to let you know you will soon fall victim to WGD ( Woodguy Disease) and won't be able to resist anything shiny or really big.

As far as asking alot of questions there are alot of us that are new to wood working and we all ask alot of questions the nice thing is that there is such a great group of people here they will you with all the questions you can think of.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the shop and the new tools once you get going.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Bob, welcome to the woodworking pool :-D I've frequently wandered into the deep end, but seems there is always some supportive NCWWer (read enabler :lol:) to pull me out. A great group of folks with diverse skills and opinions. :icon_thum

Enjoy,
Roger

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
WELLCOME!!!:eusa_clap now that you have entered you should know that its a very slippery slope your on.:eusa_whis enjoy the ride.

fred p

cskipper

Cathy
Ooooh - spending somebody else's money :lol: Welcome to the site. There is definitely a wealth of information in this group and everyone is willing to share info. You're in a good area to even try out pretty much any kind of tool - lots of folks in your area! Woodguy disease is pretty difficult to resist - and you probably won't get a lot of help in that ballpark. Just be sure to ask about anything!

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

oh boy, I think I'm in trouble. I feel like a tool junky trapped in a world where everyone is a Lie Nielsen dealer (psst, hey buddy, need some planes? I've got brass, silver and these loooong smooth ones... :)

My thanks for the kind words and welcome, me'thinks I'm going to have a (expensive) blast here :)

Bob H

woodguy1975

New User
John
JohnsonMBrandon said:
Bob,

Welcome to the group. You will soon learn what the Woodguy disease is. While some of us will try to help you keep your tool purchases reasonable, others will encourage bigger purchases:lol:. We'll do all we can to help you pick the right tools for your needs.

Now who would do a thing like that?????????:eusa_whis:eusa_whis

Welcome Bob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS