Tiger Maple HF (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
The Treasury Department (Mrs Davey), saw a small commercial HF with pedestal and finial at her friends house, and wanted one like it. After looking at it, it was the worst piece of work I've ever seen, and if any of you tell her that I'll swear I never said it. I finished the HF for her today with out blowing it out. This is the first side grain HF I've tried and had a heck of a time with tear out. It is 4.5" tall by 4" wide and finished with CA, now on to the pedestal.

Tiger_Maple_HF.jpg

It developed two cracks 180 degrees out across the grain so couldn't use my vacuum chuck to finish the bottom, so made this thingy to do that. The length reaches the bottom and I built up the appropriate spot with tape to friction fit the opening, which is 3/4".

HF_Adapter.jpg

I'll post progress pics here. Comments and Criticism appreciated

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I made my own along the David Ellsworth design. Mine differ in that I used square stock and use a circular HSS cutter for my straight hollower.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I made a pedestal for it tonight out of Holly dyed black and sprayed with rattle can lacquer. It's a variation on the original. Would love some design thoughts.

Tiger_Maple_HF_w_Ped.jpg

Rob

New User
Rob
I like the shape, I think it's too tall for the HF. From the ruler, looks to be about a 1/4 of the hollow form. Remember the rule of thirds.

BTW the HF looks awesome.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
The HF is beautiful! I'd like to see it on a contemporary base though. The one you made looks a bit Colonial to me. Now, understand, I'm responding to your invitation for comments. Critical tone not meant.

bobby g

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
A fine piece of turning there,mighty fine for sure.Bet your Mrs's friend will be envious.
Tony

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nate:
I'm NOT an expert, but I like to take up a challenge when presented with one.

First of all very nice work, and especially on the HF shape, wood selection, and the overall finish. I really like the black of the base.

I have read that one way to critique shape is to view the piece upside down. Without the piece, all I could do was to flip the picture upside down.:wsmile: Of course I am too lazy to upload that version of your picture.
- Looking at it upside down, I think the portion of the base closest to the HF is maybe too large/wide. Maybe rather than being rounded in profile, it could follow the line of the HF more until the thin stem portion. I like your "sharp edge" element at the transition from contact point to stem.
- Overall I too think the height of the base maybe too much for the piece.
- I like the shape and design of the lowest portion of the base (contact with table), but it too may be somewhat large compared to the width of the largest diameter of the HF.

I am not a slave to rule of thirds, but sketch it out to see how this looks with the height and base width closer to 1/3 the sizes of the HF. I have not tried to measure or even estimate that ratio, you may have nailed it.

All that being said, realize that I aspire to accomplish a HF someday; I have not even tried one yet, so critiquing yours is a bit risky here.

Henry W

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Henry,

Thanks for that insightful critique. I have never heard about turning upside down, will try that in a bit. I don't feel you need to make something to have an informed opinion about proportions and design. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

BTW,

Just go for it, that's what I did and it's a blast. And EWT finisher and some wood is all your really need for basic HFs

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Here are the final 3 versions I showed the Finance Minister. She like the one on the right, so that makes it the final version. It's very interesting to see the streaks across the grain. Thanks for looking.

Tiger_Maple_HF_Multi.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Tiger Maple HF (WIP? - done!)

Ahhh - now it looks finished with that top finial!

Beautiful work - great design and finish. The top finial changes the proportions (obviously the entire piece is taller!) and I like it very much.

You've set the bar pretty high for HF pieces!

Henry W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS