Thought I would give it a shot - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
This all started because I wanted to see if I could hand cut dovetail joints (not easy...I still need to practice). So I built a simple box. (The picture quality isn't very good. I'm not really set up to take good pictures.)

136.JPG

Then I decided that I should do something different for the lid. As I have done some stained glass work in the past, I thought why not try to inlay a pattern in the lid. So I selected a simple pattern.

228.JPG

First step - glue the pattern to the glass and rough cut.

317.JPG

Next, grind the glass to final shape.

416.JPG

Tape the cut glass pieced together and trace the pattern to the lid.

517.JPG

Carve the pattern into the lid. For this I used a combination of a Dremel with a router bit, and carving tools.

611.JPG

Finally, epoxy the pieces into the lid.

76.JPG

Haven't decided on a finish yet. Since this was my first attempt, I learned a few lessons...narrow pieces of glass (the border) break very easily...grinding the glass to fit the carved wood is easier than carving the wood to fit the glass.

I don't know if I will attempt another one, but it was fun trying. Thanks for looking.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Neat idea and nice execution.

That glass grinder really makes it easy, I always did it by hand with a glass cutter. Of course the came covered some inaccuracies. I guess pieces that small would need to be touched up on a grinder.

Your dovetails are very nice too.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Very nice!!! That is definitely something I would like to try someday!!!

Be careful on your selection of finish. The right one will make the inlay pop, while the wrong one can distract from it!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Sounds like a me too, but ME TOO!
I usually really like or dislike mixed media and yours came out very well.
The wood and glass compliment each other and neither seems to cry for first place.
Each seems to highlight the other. The border really is a nice touch.
Nice execution.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Very nice!!! That is definitely something I would like to try someday!!!

Be careful on your selection of finish. The right one will make the inlay pop, while the wrong one can distract from it!

Good point. Anyone know what I should avoid to keep from harming the epoxy? The epoxy is only on the bottom of the glass.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
That, sir, is STUNNINGLY beautiful! Since I am close to retirement (woo-hoo!!!) I have run your idea off as something to try in the next year. Thanks for sharing.:wsmile:

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
That, sir, is STUNNINGLY beautiful! Since I am close to retirement (woo-hoo!!!) I have run your idea off as something to try in the next year. Thanks for sharing.:wsmile:

I retired a year and a half ago and I highly recommend it!:banana: Now I have the time to think up stuff I'm not sure I can do and some that I know I can't do.:gar-La;

Thanks for the compliment.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow,

Very nice work and post!

At first glance, I thought you were going to Scrollsaw that pattern, but then came the glass.

How brilliant! so brilliantly simple ( idea that is). Execution, probably not so much :gar-Bi

Thanks so much for posting this ! :icon_thum

M

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Preston,

That looks GREAT~! Wow, I am very impressed and thank you kindly for the WIP and How to demonstration through pictures.

Very well done~!

Thanks for sharing~!

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
This is pretty cool. Which took more time, the inlay or the hand cut dovetails?

The inlay took longer if you don't count all the practice time on the dove tails! :icon_scra I used quite a bit of scrap trying to get the technique down. I still need more practice before I attempt them on a bigger project, but it is fun to try. There are a few good videos on youtube if you want to see different techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS