Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Tried turning a bowl in some cedar. thought I about had it:crybaby2:
IMAG0016.jpg

J

jeff...

Thick CA that bad boy, ERC has got to be hard to turn it cracks so easy.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
BTDT, and have several T-shirts. I agree with Jeff. I have glued many a piece back together and finished turning it.

Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
So even if your glue is successful, still risk bowl coming apart while you finish turn it! If your lucky will end up with a bowl with a visible crack in it. Even if you wipe down with acetone before putting on any finish, cedar oil will probably bleed through some time in the future. If left unfinished will need to be lightly sanded from time to time. I say cut your loss, and move on!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks guys. I am not too upset over the bowl. It's only the second time I tried! I would like to get something to at least resemble a bowl when I'm finished!:lol: I have several more pieces of cedar that I may play with. I think part of my problem is the wood is still very wet. Felt like I needed to wear a raincoat!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ed,
Could you smooth/flatten/square up the spilt, attach it to a board and make a wall/planter/hangy thingy????

Most of it looks great and I'd hate to see all your efforts go for naught :cool:

Roger

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cool idea Roger! It would take a LOT of sanding though. Think I'll chalk this one up to practice!

cskipper

Cathy
If you look at our segmented bowl you see a nice bowl. It was, however, at least 2" taller when we started. Just kept having pieces flying. It was frustrating. I am determined to make and finish a regular bowl at some point. It's nerve wracking when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS