The mother of all lumber auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:swoon: That is alot of wood - some good choices - Poplar, African Mahogany, Sapele, RO, WO and more l

M

McRabbet

Dan, you need to add a "0" to your listing to get the total of all species -- wow, it is the Mother Lode!

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Dan,

Thanks for the lead! Can't buy anything right now but it's nice to know that it is out there.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Man that is the mother load, ain't it? It's real nice feeling to know my lumber stash, just like my 401K is loosing money, makes a guy all warm inside - yeah right :(.

Sad to see yet another lumber business close their doors.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have never bought from an auction like this... But I would love to build a bench (doesn't everyone?). And there are a bunch of hard maple lots.

Is there any interest in some sort of a group buy? I don't need 600 bd ft but maybe more people would be interested if the lots end up < 1$ a bd ft? Right now there are still 600bd ft lots of 8/4 hard maple for 100$ (who knows where these will end up...).

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
OK youse ENABLERS......

:gar-Bi

I've bid on several lots since I need plywood and lumber (but don't have a planer yet so no rough lumber):

lot 350 white hard maple 13/16"
lot 514 cherry plywood
lot 713 birch plywood (finished on one side)

Now I need someone with a flatbed truck or trailer (if all else fails the Lowe's rental truck will do since I'm in Greensboro) - if any locals have a trailer or want to split a small lot (of if I'm outbid beyond my maxes), I could use a few hundred board feet of hard maple or mahogany... and I could help transport/unload a little. A little 8/4 maple would be nice.

If anyone's going north to Arrington VA, I'm interested in bidding on a small amount of crown molding (I need 20 8-ft pieces) if anyone is interested in Pony express or splitting a large lot

Last edited:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
OK youse ENABLERS......

:gar-Bi

I've bid on several lots since I need plywood and lumber (but don't have a planer yet so no rough lumber):

lot 350 white hard maple 13/16"
lot 514 cherry plywood
lot 713 birch plywood (finished on one side)

Now I need someone with a flatbed truck or trailer (if all else fails the Lowe's rental truck will do since I'm in Greensboro) - if any locals have a trailer or want to split a small lot (of if I'm outbid beyond my maxes), I could use a few hundred board feet of hard maple or mahogany... and I could help transport/unload a little. A little 8/4 maple would be nice.

If anyone's going north to Arrington VA, I'm interested in bidding on a small amount of crown molding (I need 20 8-ft pieces) if anyone is interested in Pony express or splitting a large lot

Hey Larry,

Just to inform you incase you didn't read the last post about loads of lumber from the IRS website. You have to have a flatbed trailer without any rails. The IRS people load it on the Flatbed trailer with a forklift only. So box rental trucks are out.

Good luck though. I hope a bunch of NCWW's get in on it, but then again if that happens will need someone with a semi to carry it all. :swoon:

rahimlee54

New User
Rahimlee54
Hey Larry,

Just to inform you incase you didn't read the last post about loads of lumber from the IRS website. You have to have a flatbed trailer without any rails. The IRS people load it on the Flatbed trailer with a forklift only. So box rental trucks are out.

Good luck though. I hope a bunch of North Carolina Woodworker's get in on it, but then again if that happens will need someone with a semi to carry it all. :swoon:

All the sides fold down on the HD rental truck. Good catch though.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
What's with the whole certificate of insurance etc. requirements if it is a certain amount etc.?

PS Anybody have any idea how much 390 bd ft of 5/4 cypress weighs? Anybody want to go in on some?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
What's with the whole certificate of insurance etc. requirements if it is a certain amount etc.?

PS Anybody have any idea how much 390 bd ft of 5/4 cypress weighs? Anybody want to go in on some?

I've never had to show anything other than a receipt when I've picked up small amounts of lumber. That may have something to do with items requiring demolition and disconnecting from utilities, etc. Also...If you go to pickup a week after the auction, things are a lot more relaxed and less hectic.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I have actually bought stuff via IRS auctions and most of the higher value wood will not remain at rock bottom prices. It will approach the volume prices relating to a concentration yard.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Man that is the mother load, ain't it? It's real nice feeling to know my lumber stash, just like my 401K is loosing money, makes a guy all warm inside - yeah right :(.

Sad to see yet another lumber business close their doors.

Short term boon for woodworkers which will amount to little competition in the future causing significant price increases and costs to woodworkers once the economy turns around.

enjoy while it lasts..

WDHTRIM

New User
WALT
man thats an awsome site never seen anything like it now i just gotta find the cash to jump on some of those deals thanks for sharing ill be using that site alot in the future.
:icon_thum

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Anyone keeping an eye on these lumber auctions? Some of the prices are still in the "good deal" range, but that will probably change.....

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I have never bought from an auction like this... But I would love to build a bench (doesn't everyone?). And there are a bunch of hard maple lots.

Is there any interest in some sort of a group buy? I don't need 600 bd ft but maybe more people would be interested if the lots end up < 1$ a bd ft? Right now there are still 600bd ft lots of 8/4 hard maple for 100$ (who knows where these will end up...).

I would be interested in a group buy on the maple.

Bob

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
OK youse ENABLERS.....
Now I need someone with a flatbed truck or trailer (if all else fails the Lowe's rental truck will do since I'm in Greensboro) - if any locals have a trailer or want to split a small lot (of if I'm outbid beyond my maxes), I could use a few hundred board feet of hard maple, cherry or mahogany... and I could help transport/unload.

Well, I'm currently the high bidder on several lots: :icon_cheers
lot 127 Mahogany lot 346 Cherry/Red Oak
lot 345 Cherry lot 350 white hard maple
lot 514 plywood lot 727 plywood lot 782 plywood

Mebbe I'll get lucky. I'm still looking for anyone going to Arrington - I'd bid on crown molding (I need 20 8-ft pieces) if anyone is interested in Pony Express or splitting a large lot.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
If the price stays low, I wouln'd mind acquiring all or part of lot 818 - which is 10/4 KD hard maple to be used in the February Handscrew workshop. I'd love to end up with some genuine mahogany, if the price stays low.

Am also thinking about bidding on Lot 2073 (which is in Arrington, VA), 1680 Bd ft of QSRO if the price stays low.

If I bid and win any auctions, I can offer transport services for folks in-between the Triangle and GBO on my flatbed trailer. You can chip in towards fuel, as the truck gets around 7 mph when towing the big trailer. I can haul up to 6K board feet on it, or thereabouts.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS