the differences between honduras and genuine mahogany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Call me a skeptic but if it is not reclaimed wood I am very, well, skeptical of someone selling Honduras mahogany.

I have around 250 bf of true mahogany and its not reclaimed. Its out there if you want to get. you just have to pay 6-12/bf for it. Wide stuff can go for 12-15/bf. Cuban will go for 20-50/bf.

It originally was American mahogany but florida got pretty cleaned out, then it was haitian, cuban and now honduran. The south americans have huge plantations of the true mahogany and it really doesn't matter where its grown if it is the true species and the color and grain patterns remain constant. Sipo and Sapele have been making in roads as a replacement.

Khaya (African Mahaogany) looks like chocolate vomit compared to the Ribbon sapele.

It is now under Cites restriction due to over harvesting in the wild.. It will be available in a few years when the plantations start harvesting again.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Kyle,
Thank you for clearing that up, so in the end all of the above named mahoganies are the same, other than where they come from.

Thank you again,
Jimmy:)

LorinB

New User
Lorin
I don't think that that is what Kyle is saying at all. Genuine mahogany (Swietenia) and African mahogany (Kaya) are two different trees. I am not saying that it would not be possible to grow Swietenia in Africa. But I have seen a lot of Kaya sold as mahogany which it is most definitely not. The two are entirely different to work with and don't even look that similar. My supplier has both with about a 60% cost difference between the two. I feel that there is some shady marketing being practiced to even make it necessary to tag the word genuine to mahogany. In my opinion calling, Kaya african mahogany is only a marketing ploy to add value to a lesser product. The same goes for Asian Mahogany which is lauan (Shorea), I have seen quarter sawn sapele (which is an outstanding species in its own right) being marketed as ribbon mahogany, and the very popular Brazilian cherry flooring that is going into every other McMansion is jatoba. I am personaly effected by the current decieptive marketing because I choose to edcuate my customers instead practicing what is little more than a bait and switch.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
What he said is that american, haitiian, cuban and honduran are all the same species (swietenia). Which has helped me.

Jimmy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS