The dark side, the sweet side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I just finished watching Alan Lacer's skew video "The dark side, The sweet side" This man is truly a magician with a skew. Picked up some helpful tips to try tomorrow in the shop. I will probably watch this video many, many times. Well worth purchasing.

Rob

New User
Rob
At the end, he made two small spinning tops, about the size of a nickel, with a very large skew, using several of the cuts he demonstrated. Amazing.

I've got to do some modifications to my skew chisels this weekend.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
You don't have to go that far, Phillip. Swing by here.:gar-La;

Those are great DVD's ... watched them many times and still not as good as Alan!:rotflm:

Sweet!....but you can bring them over when you check out the new place :rotflm::rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like I need to take a ride to Sanford some time soon.:wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
LOML calls the skew the "evil tool"... there is absolutely an art to it. Raffan turns many things using only the skew. Seems like an odd roughing choice but he makes it look easy.
I'll have to look into these videos. Thanks for the heads up

Rob

New User
Rob
I used a skew today to do a pen, after I modified it. The edge was curved, I sharpened it on my water stones, I also rounded the bottom of the chisel, to make it slide easier along the tool rest. That made a huge difference. Those plus adjusting my tool rest, was amazing how much better the pen came out vs. using a gouge. I did rough the pen out with a gouge though. I think I'll get me a fine diamond hone like Alan used, to touch up the edge between turnings, takes too long using the water stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS