The best of ... lathe stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
This is the second of a couple "the best of..." posts I've started. The idea behind it was to get people talking about tools and accessories and whatnot that they've used and really find to be of much use. Sometimes this is the unexpected satisfaction you get from a purchase, sometimes you knew it was coming ... but in every case, share it with us!

I'll get us started in this best of lathe stuff thread. If you've purchased something as it relates to woodturning and it is something you would highly recommend to a fellow woodworker ... tell us about it!

• ProPM Bowl Gouge w/ Ellsworth Grind
    This thing is just an awesome bowl gouge. Heavy duty, holds an edge for a long time, and comfortable to use.
  • Easy Rougher Ci1 & Ci2
    Probably my favorite lathe tools to date. They are fun to use as they terrorize the wood for roughing out, but are also good at many of the delicate tasks. A true pleasure to use.
  • PM3520B lathe
    How could I not list this? It is night and day difference from a smaller lathe. The main reason for this purchase was to get a heavier lathe, but more importantly better variable speed control. It'll probably do anything I ever want and is a joy to turn on. While it has a few mods I'd like to make, they don't take away from the lathe as a whole.

Gary K

New User
Gary
My two favorite turning items.
Thompson 1/2" V bowl gouge, I thought this was a lot of money for a turning tool with out a doubt it has been the best value I have ever had in a turning tool. It holds an edge better than any other.
Turned Bowls Made Easy by Bill Grumbine This DVD made a big difference in the quality of my bowls, using the cuts he demos I don't need the 60 grit gouge anymore, plus it is fairly entertaining.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Jeremy you already got a couple of my favorites, but here's a few more:

• Jamieson Hollowing System
This rig really does make hollowing a breeze. Since we all want to spend our time designing a pleasing form, this system makes quick work of the tedious hollowing job.​
  • Milwaukee close quarter drill
Since I sand as much as I turn, this power sander makes a painful task, bearable. The right angle allows you to get inside bigger bowls.
  • Teknatool Supernova Chuck
This is the workhorse of my turning efforts. I now have three of them with various jaws preset in them. I can switch from Cole Jaws to 50mm or 100mm in a matter of seconds. These jaws use a dovetail grip design that holds tight. I haven't flung a bowl yet (knock on a blank :wink_smil).

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Ain't got much:icon_scra.So I guess all I can say is my psi chuck that Ken Massingale {another member} sent to me.Man I can't wait to up grade on lathes though:rotflm:.May have to check out that DVD though.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Three lathes,Nova 1624
Ricon mini
A Ohio forge,which is made under a hundred different names
Four of D T gouges 3/4 ",5/8 1/2, 3/8,
Graigs Ci0 an Ci1
an a bunch of others
Wolverine sharping tools
8" slow spead grinder
Kel McNaughton coring tool
8 chainsaws
3 elect C S
drum sander
Drill press
12" disc sander
osculating sander
two bandsaws
Router table setup.
More books and DVD's than I can count
an a bunch of stuff that I can't remember
And still can't turn :gar-Cr

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
- adjustable pen mandrel

- turning stock wood

- fellow NCWW members who enable.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Weed Pots:rotflm::rotflm:, been my biggest turning project yet. And a huge success.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
If anyone has the below DVD I sure would love to borrow it. I'd happily pay shipping to and from. Thanks.

"Turned Bowls Made Easy by Bill Grumbine This DVD made a big difference in the quality of my bowls, using the cuts he demos I don't need the 60 grit gouge anymore, plus it is fairly entertaining."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS