Thanks for letting me join!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimithy

New User
jimithy
Hi, my name is Jim but I go by "jimithy".

I have a lot of experience in most everything and not enough experience for most anything.

I grew up in the Big Thicket in E. TX (now a National Park). My Dad was a forester for the Kirby Lumber Company and a woodworker on the side. I was an only son so I started working with him before I started school. Our tools are now called "Vintage Tools". We could not afford power tools; ours required elbow grease instead. I still primarily use tools that require strong arms and a gentle touch.

There are unusual species in that rain forest/swamp so Dad experimented a lot. His greatest success (and failure) was a large gun cabinet made entirely of Black Magnolia. The wood is stunning but expands & contracts more than most. Within months of us moving out of the swamp to a dryer climate... the back of the gun cabinet split in half. Dad made a desperate attempt to repair it with clamps and glue. Of course it did not work.

My Dad died when I was 13 and my family moved to AZ. I kept at woodworking but I did a lot of reading about better design methods to avoid problems that plagued my Dad.

I am now a nearly 55yo disabled Vietnam Era Vet. My wife and I just bought a 1931 "Country Gothic" home on the Greenbrier river at Alderson, WV. The White Oak woodworking inside is beautiful... except for about 150 sq ft of fire damage in the back of the entry hall and kitchen.

We made a kiln and I am slowly drying/seasoning enough White Oak to restore the home. We are trying to match everything with the original finishes in the house (actually we are trying to match finishes that have aged three-quarters of a century).

We are 7 weeks into the restoration and hope we'll have it mostly done before my kids inherit it :icon_thum

I'll jump in to discussions with ideas/experience but please remember I am an avid hobbyist... not an expert.

Thanks again for letting me participate!

jimithy

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our dust pile, jimithy. We're very happy to have you join us. You'll find lots of good information here and great people. Don't hesitate to ask for advice or to give us your opinion and feel free to upload pictures of your restoration work and other projects. Welcome aboard.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greeting! Sounds like you had quite a childhood! Black magnolia sounds like a really amazing wood.

There is quite the "vintage tool" crowd here. The house sounds like fun and lots of good stories to come.

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Welcome!
Jim

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Jimithy. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Thanks for sharing your story. It is very unique and quite inspiring. I look forward to your input in the forums and please post some pictures of your restoration project. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Glad that you decided to join us, Jimithy!!:icon_cheers

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures if your new kiln and restoration.

Post often and have fun!

Wayne

bpeck

New User
Brian
Welcome. Where-abouts in AZ? I was born and raised in the Verde Valley, and lived in Yuma, North of Flagstaff, and Tucson. I learned carving from my father (a Park Service archaeologist, high school teacher, college professor and sometime Forest Service fire lookout and ranger).

Glad to have another Westerner in the bunch.

jimithy

New User
jimithy
Hey Everyone

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I was looking around trying to see where I could contribute something useful. Currently I am seasoning about 750bf of 4/4 White Oak (after final planing) in a quickly built "kiln". I know various techniques needed to tame even White Oak's rampant checking, warping, etc. Also special requirements when doing small batch drying on a budget.

Including the cost of the green White Oak, special tools, and materials to build the kiln... my cost per bf is less than $0.90 (I calculate < $0.87) for some really beautiful hand-picked White Oak suitable for crown molding, wainscoting, transoms, doors, flooring, etc. Would a post (with photos) about the ins and outs be of use here? If so... which is the best forum for it? (URL?)

bpeck... My Mom's clan is as native AZ as Scotch/Irish get. My Grandfather came out in a wagon in the 1890's and my Grandmother was already there. They Honeymooned at Roosevelt Lake before it had finished filling (Great Grandfather helped build the dam.). I mostly lived in spots around the Eastern side of the Valley of the Sun but I have hiked a large part of that large state. I love the E. fork of the Verde.

Thanks again for the friendly smiles! :)

jimithy

M

McRabbet

Including the cost of the green White Oak, special tools, and materials to build the kiln... my cost per bf is less than $0.90 (I calculate < $0.87) for some really beautiful hand-picked White Oak suitable for crown molding, wainscoting, transoms, doors, flooring, etc. Would a post (with photos) about the ins and outs be of use here? If so... which is the best forum for it? (URL?)

Jimithy, I'd recommend you post a thread in either the Wood Forum or if it is a Tutorial on the Kiln and processing your White Oak, then consider a thread in the "How To" Forum. Both can be found under the Blue Forums Tab at Forums > Woodworking > Wood or > "How To" Forum. When you see a Forum's thread listing, click on "New Thread" at the left top of the listing to start your new thread. To learn to post photos in your threads, I'd suggest reviewing the key threads in the FAQ Forum.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Glad you found us, Jimithy. You will find lots of know-how here, beyond woodworking, so just chime in if you have questions about your remodel. You will find lots of ideas, not that all of them will be good ideas....:rotflm:

JohnW

New User
John
Welcome to NCWW Jimithy.

You sure did move to some nice country. Back in the late 70's and 80's I used to fish the Greenbrier. A stretch between Pence Springs and the prison had some of the best smallmouth fishing in the state. :icon_thum Hope it's still a good clean river to fish.

Back in the 75 or 76 they brought Squeaky Fromme to Alderson. She escaped many years later. When re-captured they sent her to FL so she's not there anymore but...Better watch yourself. They bring in some dangerous characters. The likes of Martha Stewart and such.:wink_smil

Looking forward to your kiln postings and hope you post a few pics of your work...and the house...and the river. Love to see it all.

John W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS