Tablets (Android/iPad) in the Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I just posted this in ErnieM's post about Another computer bites the dust - literally! I thought it might be informative to get people's thougts and inputs on tablets, like the iPad or Android tablets, in the shop.

Ernie,

I started a reply yesterday (and again today), but Internet Explorer ate it before I could post it.

If your primary focus is viewing documents for dimensions, etc, have you considered a tablet, either Android or iPad?

Before anyone accuses be of being a techie twit simply touting the latest electronic gadgets, let's consider the benefits:

1. Tablets are self-contained. There are not keyboards, mouse of peripherial cords to have to wrangle
  2. Tablets are portable. Even easier to move around than a laptop
  3. Tablets have no moving parts, no hard drives, no fans, nothing
  4. Tablets use low-power CPUs and passive cooling, so you are not sucking in hugh amounts of ambient air to cool them off
  5. Tablets startup quickly and go to sleep when left idle for a few seconds, preserving power and minimizing heat generation
  6. Good tablets have access to a huge variety of applets, including CAD viewers/editor (including AutoCAD WS from AutoDesk [not an endorsement])
  7. Tablets can be equipped with fairly rugged covers to help with some of those bumps that might happen in your shop
  8. Tablets can take advantage of local, local network and 'cloud' storage (...I really don't like using that 'cloud' word. It has so many meanings to so many people.)
  9. Tablets can easily be stored in a drawer or big plastic bag/sleeve when not in use (or during big dust generation operations). I have heard of some people operating them through a plastic bag in the shop. Never tried this though...
  10. Tablets can access many resources on this internet, including woodworkers helps like vendor websites, How-To video's, forums, Google, YouTube, etc.
  11. Tablets usually have a built-in camera that would allow you to frequently update your WIP pictures on the NCWoodworker.net forum. :gar-Bi
  12. Tablets were designed to be fairly intuitive to use... (once you get introduced to the new interface metaphor)
  13. Tablets have many other uses, when not in the shop

A 10" tablet with the right CAD app on it might be a good thing. With finger-based panning and pinch-zoom, it may simplify navigating around big documents.

Now, with every potentially good solution, there are some not so good things to consider:

1. Tablets can be as expensive as a desktop or laptop. The iPad and Samsung 10" [not endorsing] will easily set you back $400 - $600.
  2. Tablets are generally not expandable or upgradable. However, some Android tablets do have SD slots so you have access to removable memory/storage.
  3. Tablets can be fragile, so if it takes a major fall to a concrete floor, you may be looking a replacing the tablet.
  4. Tablets do have ventilation holes for the passive cooling. They are not sucking large amounts of ambient air, but the do need some and you don't want it to be loaded with fine dust.
  5. Tablets are NOT PC's and do not run the same software and they are not as powerful. They have a lot of similar and sometimes compatible app, but it's not Window and it's not Office.
  6. Tablets use App Stores. You need to make sure that the App Store your tablet uses is not some stripped down proprietary one.
  7. Tablets are different in how you interact with them and take a little getting used to, but not a tremendous amount.
  8. Tablets can't do it all and can benefit from having a local desk/laptop around for the heavy lifting and local network storage and backup

That is a lot to consider, but I thought I would throw it out there for your consideration. I think I might actually open a new Post to discuss the merits of tablets in the shop.

Good luck getting your laptop fixed.

So, what do you guys think of tablets in the shop?
What are some of your success stories with them?
What are some of you painful experiences with them?
Any suggestions on keeping them safe and functioning?

thrytis

New User
Eric
They make waterproof pouches for tablets that you can use the tablet while sealed in the bag (including the touch screen), which should handle any dust issues. If you don't like doing everything by touch screen, a bluetooth keyboard and mouse can be used, and many support HDMI out to a TV or monitor if the small screen bothers you, though you would face the dust issues still for the accessories. I think the key concerns would be software availability and performance.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I picked up an HP Touchpad during the 'fire sale'. I have used it a few times in the shop to view pdf project plans. It was nice not having to print out the plans or trudge back to the house to look things up.

I do have a small LCD TV in the shop (for football season). Unfortunately, the HP Touchpad does not have a method for getting on screen content to display on the TV screen. That would be a nice feature to look for. I can easily see the TV screen from anywhere in the shop.

Rob

New User
Rob
First of all, I go to my shop to get away from computers. That being said, I hope I answer your questions below.

They have their place. If you do plans, and such on them, or watch videos on them. Like any other computer, dust and heat is the killer. And tablets have ports that dust can get in.

I've watched turning videos on my ipad in the shop, sitting on a shelf behind my lathe. Worked well. I wouldn't leave it there though.

None, I take it out of the shop daily.

Keep it clean, buy a clear protective cover for the screen

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

I have a little 7" Android reader I use there sometimes. It is good for YouTube, viewing pages with info and PDFs.

I have some of my most common non-book references saved to files on it and have used it to view them several times.

Most are specific to my old cheap unit - getting wireless is iffy and battery life isn't great (but charging out there is a bad idea).
Sometimes it is a little small for what I am trying to view.
Mine does not have a camera or mic, which I want on the next one.

I use a plastic bag and I only take it out there and use it and then bring it back in.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Glad to hear some of you are using tablets in the shop and you have some great feedback.

I must admit that I am like Rob. After working on, in and with computers in my job, I try to go to the shop without one. I still use a notebook, pencil and paper most of the time. I have on occasion taken my iPod into the shop, but that has been mostly for pictures and the calculator. I have also found a couple of apps for woodworkers, like the one from DeWalt.

Andy, mine is an iPod, so I can relate to small screens. I had better have my glasses on if I am going to use it. Wait a sec... I had better have my glasses on if I am going to work in the shop. It's amazing that those 1/16" increments on the tape measure can blend together so well without them.

Has anyone else found good woodworking apps others might like to know about?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
And tablets have ports that dust can get in.

SOME tablets have ports. Others have none. My B&N Nook has some holes on the bottom but they are for the speaker, which is unlikely to be damaged by dust. The SD card slot has a cover.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
SOME tablets have ports. Others have none. My B&N Nook has some holes on the bottom but they are for the speaker, which is unlikely to be damaged by dust. The SD card slot has a cover.

And most smaller ones don't have fans either. Regular airborne dust is unlikely to damage mine for several years, but I cover it in case of accidental exposure to a stream of dust/debris or oil or whatever on my hands.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I don't usually take a tablet out to the garage. But I always take my iPhone. I use it all the time. I use it to stream Pandora to a small amp and bookshelf speakers. I use it to lookup tool manuals. I use it to look up pictures for design ideas. I use it to watch YouTube videos. I use it when I work from PDF plans. It works wonderfully as a "shop computer" for me.

If I had a "spare" iPad I would use that instead (but i don't dare try to take it out of my wife's hands :)).

I am not sure how great it would be for reading large CAD drawings. That mostly depends on how good the apps are for the format you use.
Good luck!
Salem

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
I have a cheap desktop I built in my shop, and a mounted LCD monitor I picked up on CL. It serves my purposes for internet access (and accessing this site, etc), plus serves as a media center so I can access my music and other files stored on the file server in the house. A lower end processor, on board graphics, and minimal requirements limits the power consumption and air that is heated.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
My biggest dissappointment with tablets is that you can't add a DVD reader to one. That's why I ended up getting a laptop for the shop (and for travel, it has Wimax capability.) Want to be able to peruse those how-to videos. Some web-based stuff works well (like Chris Pye's carving TV videos) but I have a lot of instructional DVD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors