Table Top attachment method

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Hello! I have a quick question concerning attaching a table top for a small side table build. I'm building a table similar to one out of a magazine and they use figure 8 fasteners to attach the top. I don't have any of those and I was wondering if I could just use the biscuit joiner to make a perimeter around the inside edge of the aprons and fasten screws up into the top from there. Would this work? I've seen people make small buttons to attach the table top but why not just make a perimeter around the inside edge with 1" inch strips to screw into? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Legs are rainbow poplar. Aprons and table top Black Limba.
10ywiBF.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
If you make the slots oversized so the top is not constrained, you could do what you suggest. Shop made buttons are a good and inexpensive way to attach the top. You can cut grooves into the aprons with a router or even with the biscuit joiner making several cuts to widen the slot.

If you just screw the top to strips inside the apron and don't allow for any seasonal movement, the top will likely split and the table might destroy itself.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I suppose you could use screws, just make sure the holes allow for movement.

The buttons are so easy to make, and to would be easier to install.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
If you make the slots oversized so the top is not constrained, you could do what you suggest. Shop made buttons are a good and inexpensive way to attach the top. You can cut grooves into the aprons with a router or even with the biscuit joiner making several cuts to widen the slot.

If you just screw the top to strips inside the apron and don't allow for any seasonal movement, the top will likely split and the table might destroy itself.

Okay I understand. But when you say widen the groove, you mean less than a snug fit? Don’t glue in the buttons right?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Okay I understand. But when you say widen the groove, you mean less than a snug fit? Don’t glue in the buttons right?

The buttons don't get glued to anything. They are attached to the top with screws and the slots or mortises on the aprons to receive them are slightly oversized.
Screenshot - 8_13_2019 , 9_59_19 AM.png

Slots for those tabletop fasteners could easily be made with a biscuit joiner or a small diameter straight bit in a router.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The lip of the button needs to be able to slide or rotate in the groove as the wood moves (i.e. top expands and contracts), so at least slightly looser than a "snug" fit in the groove. The width of the groove is not critical as long as it is wider than the lip. The lip of the button should be snug (not super tight) against the top of the groove, keeping the top firm against the aprons/base. It will still move before the wood separates. The button is made so the thickness between its top, and the top of the lip is slightly less than the distance from the table top to the top of the groove. This allows you to adjust the "snugness" of the fit by the screw tension. Otherwise the table top will be loose to the base.

If you glue the buttons to the top, you will not be able to remove the top in the future for repair, refinish, or even take down for transportation, without chiseling them off. There is also the chance that the glue will get into the groove, defeating the purpose of using the buttons in the first place. Gluing it also prevents you from using the screw to tighten the top a bit more if it shrinks enough to become loose to the base.

If you haven't already glued the base, you can just run a dado on the inside of the aprons and then make the buttons to fit. This allows you to locate the buttons where ever you want, and to relocate them if some gorilla snatches the top hard enough to strip out the button screws. (Or if you strip out the screw when installing. DAMHIKT LOL)

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice. What do you use to cut the slots for them?
I generally just cut a slot the length of the aprons (inside edge) on the table saw resulting in a 1/8" kerf. ( if I forget before glueup, I have cut slots with a biscuit joiner)

Wayne

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I like the wood cabinetmaker buttons. We had a discussion about this subject recently.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
The lip of the button needs to be able to slide or rotate in the groove as the wood moves (i.e. top expands and contracts), so at least slightly looser than a "snug" fit in the groove. The width of the groove is not critical as long as it is wider than the lip. The lip of the button should be snug (not super tight) against the top of the groove, keeping the top firm against the aprons/base. It will still move before the wood separates. The button is made so the thickness between its top, and the top of the lip is slightly less than the distance from the table top to the top of the groove. This allows you to adjust the "snugness" of the fit by the screw tension. Otherwise the table top will be loose to the base.

If you glue the buttons to the top, you will not be able to remove the top in the future for repair, refinish, or even take down for transportation, without chiseling them off. There is also the chance that the glue will get into the groove, defeating the purpose of using the buttons in the first place. Gluing it also prevents you from using the screw to tighten the top a bit more if it shrinks enough to become loose to the base.

If you haven't already glued the base, you can just run a dado on the inside of the aprons and then make the buttons to fit. This allows you to locate the buttons where ever you want, and to relocate them if some gorilla snatches the top hard enough to strip out the button screws. (Or if you strip out the screw when installing. DAMHIKT LOL)
Thanks. I haven’t glued up the assembly. I’ve had to cut covers on the aprons and I am on the middle of tapering the legs with hand planes. Couldn’t for the life of me get the table saw jig set up right so I am using hand planes. I will keep all this in mind when I am ready to attach the top. I figured I’d make the base assembly first then glue up the top and attach it. And because the the top is wider than my planer I want it to be as flat as possible before I attach it so I haven’t glued it up yet.

Rick M

New User
Rick
You can buy US made figure 8s inexpensively and they are handy. I've used them on dining tables and side tables and they work great. I've also used shop made buttons and they work too.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS