Table Saw Journey

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
So I finally got the green light to purchase a new table saw. Thus begins the research, research, second guessing, more research, third guess, and then maybe, hopefully, a purchase.

For reference, I have an old Craftsman contractor table saw.

Some requirements: I have a small shop, so I don’t have room for a huge saw. Minimum 1.75hp. Needs to be 115v.

Right now I am looking at these brands (in no certain order): Saw Stop, Jet, Laguna, Grizzly, Shop Fox, Harvey & Powermatic

Who am I missing to look at.

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Powermatic? If 2HP is a minimum you’re looking at a hybrid saw. I would not run a 2HP on 120V I would convert it to 240V.

I think lot of the 110V saw have 1.5 to 1.75HP motors.

I have 2 Jet cabinet saws, 3 and 1.75 HP. Both are excellent machines, but you can definitely feel the difference in quality with just a turn of the crank.

Any of them will be a huge step up for you. No question SawStop would be at the top of my list.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My Delta contractor's saw runs on 120 volts, on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Wire ,length from panel box to saw, is less than 20 feet. Century 2.0 HP motor. I run full kerf blades with no problems. Only own one thin kerf blade that I bought on a clearance deal. Run both dado stacks and molding heads, which will tax any saw.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Powermatic? If 2HP is a minimum you’re looking at a hybrid saw. I would not run a 2HP on 120V I would convert it to 240V.

I think lot of the 110V saw have 1.5 to 1.75HP motors.

I have 2 Jet cabinet saws, 3 and 1.75 HP. Both are excellent machines, but you can definitely feel the difference in quality with just a turn of the crank.

Any of them will be a huge step up for you. No question SawStop would be at the top of my list.

I will add powermatic to the list and start checking it out

striker

New User
Stephen
If you're planning on buying & using it anytime soon, I'd check stock. Your options are likely to be greatly diminished.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not in any rush. Rather make the right decision and wait then be forced to get something I’m not
Happy with

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have had my SawStop for about 13 years, it has been an awesome tool. On one occasion, the safety feature associated with the saw saved my finger. It does cost a little more, but I think it is worth the added expense.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
As a pediatrician, the only saw I'd have is a SawStop - extra cost is covered by the copay for even a few sutures (and losing a finger can cost a job…) SawStop is very good quality too - no regrets with my 1.75hp contractor (nor the 3hp Cabinet version at the Forge)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I believe the Laguna is made by Harvey. The Laguna, Harvey, the Grizzly and the Powermatic are all nice saws. If you need or want the Sawstop and willing to pay for the tech it is a good saw as well. I would look at service support and availability of aftermarket toys for your saw as well. It is really helpful to be able to call a knowledgeable support person and be able to do so without delays.

RJweb

RJ
Senior User
I have a Sawstop and it is a fine piece of machinery, and the customer service and support are number 1, RJ

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will the sawstop safety feature be affect or false firing since I don’t have a conditioned shop

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
How old is the craftsman saw youre using? Whats wrong with it? A new 1.75 hp 110v saw may not be much of an upgrade.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mid to Late 80’s with a 1hp motor and crappy fence

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Will the sawstop safety feature be affect or false firing since I don’t have a conditioned shop
Robert, while I won't presume to offer an authoritative response, I do not believe a conditioned shop is essential for proper functioning of the safety feature. While I have a professional cabinet model, SawStop also makes a contractor's model (smaller, more portable) to function in the varied conditions found on job sites.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 3hp 36" pcs in an unconditioned shop, no misfires in 6 months of ownership

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
I had my SawStop in the garage for several years, no issues. And whenever I had to call with a question, their support was great.

Jimbo

James
User
As a pediatrician, the only saw I'd have is a SawStop - extra cost is covered by the copay for even a few sutures (and losing a finger can cost a job…) SawStop is very good quality too - no regrets with my 1.75hp contractor (nor the 3hp Cabinet version at the Forge)
I made the same calculation as a pediatric cardiac anesthesiologist! The safety feature alone sold me, but I've never felt that there was any trade-off in quality - it's a great machine. No issues related to temperature, either, btw...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS