Sycamore slab joining - a joint project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome Jeff.... you really need a better camera, that pic is almost black and white :lol: :lol: :lol: I know that slab is prettier than that.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Dude I told you my camera sucks, it's like one of the orginal digital cameras, a HP PhotoSmart 210 :-D It says "Made in China", you know you can't get silk from a sows ear. Nor can you take a good picture with an HP PhotoSmart 210 made in China in the year 2001. Chinese year of the pig by the way :lol:.

You have to remember your talking to a guy who still uses a 486 33Mhz with 96 meg of ram running slackware Linux and Firefox, (complete with spell checker and ad blocker) to post most of my replies at NCWoodworker.com.

Anyways on those surface checks, thin / medium CA and sawdust?

Dozer - point me to what I need to buy for a thick 1/4" bar top finish please.

Thanks guys

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Anyways on those surface checks, thin / medium CA and sawdust?

Dozer - point me to what I need to buy for a thick 1/4" bar top finish please.

Thanks guys

Just giving you grief Jeff... Thin CA and saw dust will make the best fill for those surface checks.
Here's some info, and sources for bar top epoxy:

Pourable Clear Epoxy Bar and Table Top Coatings

Kleer Koat Table Top Resin

The best bar top finish

Fiberglass Florida, Inc. - How To - Epoxy Table Top Resin

Table Top Clear Resins

HTH,

J

jeff...

A little help here please - Is this what I should buy to permanently preserve the slab? should I buy a gallon? Where's that supervisor Dozer when you need him :-D

Table Top Clear Resins

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is this what I should buy to permanently preserve the slab?

I don't know if a bar top epoxy will preserve the slab any more than a good urethane/varnish or lacquer finish. But it will give you the look that is often used for natural slab tables.

J

jeff...

Think I could at east seal it up with a couple of clear polycrylic coats before "bar topping" it? I assume I need to round over the edge first too?

John_LA

New User
John Lach
You guys did a great job joining that slap together :eusa_clap Gonna make an awesome table top.

John

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You have to remember your talking to a guy who still uses a 486 33Mhz with 96 meg of ram running slackware Linux and Firefox, (complete with spell checker and ad blocker) to post most of my replies at NCWoodworker.com.

Hey, Hey, let's not get uppity. I'm running the same thing but don't use the spell checker. It gets two many wurds rong!!:rolf:

Most of the bar tops I have seen were finished with spit, spilt beer and occasionally a recent dinner. Don't think that's what you're lookin' for, tho.

Go

J

jeff...

Found a little more time to work on the slab, It's developed a large crack in the pith, starting at a knot, but hey that's what makes it so cool, it's a slab. I sanded it down to 120 grit and filled all the checks and cracks with sanding dust and CA as I went, then sanded the entire surface one last time with 120 grit.

I then coated the entire slab with a thin coat of thin CA in small sections with a cheap plastic squeegee, once done I hit the entire surface with accelerator. Came back about 1/2 hour later and sanded the entire surface back down to bare wood with my belt sander @ 150 grit. Shot my first coat of water based polycrylic to seal it up. Once dry will sand the entire surface again this time with 220 and we'll be ready for the bar top finish.

Once I got a good clean clear seal coat on the slab, it's beautiful, way beyond my expectations, American Sycamore is so cool :icon_thum. The florescent lights are reflecting as white in the picture it the polycrylic may not be completely dry and remember my camera is a POS.

Thanks

Attachments

• Mar11_02.jpg
    Mar11_02.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Mar11_03.jpg
    Mar11_03.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Mar11_04.jpg
    Mar11_04.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Mar11_05.jpg
    Mar11_05.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 164
J

jeff...

Slab sealed and hand sanded to 220 grit, I probably over done this a little but had fun doing it. Just need to route the edge and rough sand the bottom then were ready for the bar top finish.

What edge do you guys think would look best on this? I was thinking of maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 round over but I don't know.

Thanks

Attachments

• Mar13_02.jpg
    Mar13_02.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Mar13_01.jpg
    Mar13_01.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 141
  • Mar13_03.jpg
    Mar13_03.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 153

bman

New User
barry
looks great Jeff ....... my vote would keep the edge as simple as possible maybe 1/8" round over (IMHO) for what it's worth anything more then that would look to modern to me....... but hey what do i know i am a computer geek :lol: great job !!!!!!:icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

I would like to see how you get that bar top finish

Barry

T

toolferone

I agree, it is a natural edge slab, leave it natural. Just knock the edge off by hand sanding and you are good to go.

J

jeff...

Yep agree - just a little roundover, if it were perfect it would look out of sorts would'nt it?

Ok Brain Fart - I got lots of BW laying around so figured I would make the legs and apron out of BW and the shelf out of edge joined QS Sycamore. It'll match those cute little bow ties Dave put in ET's hair and neck.

What you think, I'm sick and need professional help?

Thanks

J

jeff...

Dave - the base is cut and rough fitted. I spent a few hours in the shop and built a very simple QA Sycamore mortise and tendon base, 17" 2x2 legs 30" and 14" 3 1/2" apron (34" x 16" x 17" high assembled). I'm not going to put a shelf in. That slab top you joined just looks so cool sitting on a plain jane base. I think if I do any fancy routing or carving on the base, it'll mess up the rustic look, so I'm going simple.

Sorry no pics - my camera is on it's last leg, maybe thats a good thing...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff...sounds awesome. I'll have to take your word for it :lol: :lol: I agree with not upstaging the simplicity of the slab. I am sure that you will have a fine table when it's all done. Pics pending :eusa_pray :eusa_pray

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
How does this sound:Coffee table Height 15"-18" End table Height 18"-24" Like the round over edge look and feel.

J

jeff...

It's a coffee table. There's a few more minor things to do before finishing, like finish sanding and maybe a little bit bigger roundover around the top but otherwise pretty much done.

Next are two matching 1/2 slab end tables

Thanks Dave :icon_thum

Attachments

• Mar16_01.jpg
    Mar16_01.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Mar16_02.jpg
    Mar16_02.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Mar16_03.jpg
    Mar16_03.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 154

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff....that's came out really cool. I knew that you could do it justice. When you get that camera from Clay, take it out in some sunshine and get us some pics that will show off the color in that slab. I am dying to see it with the finish applied.

BTW, you're welcome. I should thank you, that was one of the most fun days I've had in my shop, ever. Things all went right, and I had good folks to witness it :-D :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS