• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: [Suggestion]What about a Home Improvement Forum!!

Another forum just lets me access ideas from the past a lot easier. Inasmuch as the most of my WW experience has been in the 'coarse' arts I feel I'd be more able to contribute on threads in that area. Most of the posts I read, though, have to do with other areas in which I have little knowledge & want to learn from someone else's 'experience' (translated: mistakes). I enjoy these so much I went out & bought a 'fixer upper' Craftsman lathe & jointer last night. Help! The dark side is calling! Pix to follow this weekend. Wanna do the electrpolating rust removal on this'un.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'll vote yes as long as we can get rid of it if the site starts becoming NCDIY.org.. I've lost enough:

- hunting /sporting good stores to sporting good/golf stores:-(

-outdoor sport shops (camping) to ski/tennis shops:eusa_doh:

-lumber yards to home improvement centers:crybaby2:

etc., etc., etc..

Lets not change the overall mission of woodworking.

Jimmy:)

mburke911

New User
Mark
George and Steve, Tile question.

you might want to open a tread id the other forum so you could get some feedback. I have some thoughts (from my experience) but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Mark

mburke911

New User
Mark
I would have to agree that the overall site should be focused on woodworking but... (always a but :p) there are many overlaps between home repair and woodworking. Redoing a room with built in benches, cabinets, shelves etc and putting in a tile floor. The tile questions could fit under a home improvement forum rather than "other". I would like to see that one forum added (all others probably not... not that I have anything against them).

I can't sleep either.

Mark

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have to agree with Mike Davis. :icon_thum
At first reading this post I thought that it was a good idea. However the more I thought of it, the more Mike's logic made sense.
There are plenty of DIY sites around.
I thought that our site was/is for woodworkers/craftsman in the old arts. For the young, the old, the new, the inquisitive to woodworking, hence the title of our group.
In saying all that, whew, members or even guest wanting or giving advice on different topics other than woodworking should all ways be allowed.
with experiences shared, giggled at, or head scratchers made.
(did that make sense?):eusa_thin

Ok, I said my 2 cents worth.
Oh BTW DaveO, don't forget you need to teach me dovetail joints.;-)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I think that is a grand idea and one that would be well used:eusa_clap

gator

George
Corporate Member
In case it was missed, my first response to this question was that the O.T. forum currently serves this purpose and can be used as such. I agree with Mike's assessment of the situation. Use of the O.T. forum would allow someone to ask a question if they truly wanted the opinions for NCWW's but would not be an advertisment to change the nature of this site.

George

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
As I've said, I also agree with Mike, we shouldn't deviate from this sites mission, which is woodworking. We have an Off Topic forum which also serves as a DIY forum if you choose.

Hey, I've got an idea lets start a forum called Off Topic, so people can discuss things such as ..... Oh let me think about this..... DIY problems.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Jimmy:)

M

McRabbet

After reading everyone's posts, I too must agree with Mike Davis -- I just voted NO.

Chipper

New User
Steve
My thinking behind the suggestion was not merely another forum to represent peoples other interest but to have a unique N.C. home improvement slant. Home issues that we all share as a result of our geography. For example, my well water in Littleton has this red sediment in it and I would like to know if anyone else has it and how they solved the problem.
Although I would expect all types of Home issues could be discussed, most home improvement always involves wood and woodworking.

cskipper

Cathy
I always find it interesting when the post count doesn't match the number of votes. They are probably really unrelated - just interesting.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I am not sure about a home improvement forum. There are a lot of sites that are dedicated to that. This site is dedicated to woodworking. That said, there are a lot of home improvement topics that I would consider woodworking related. Instead of a general home improvement forum, how about a finish carpentry thread. I do think the other topics (plumbing, drywall, electrical, etc...) could remain under the OT forum.

alleng

New User
allen
wow,this one is realy teeterin on the fence,aint it? i feel like if a member wants to save some money and diy, then what would it hurt to have a forum to ask questions about home improvement? after all,moast hi jobs end up bein ww related anyway.and if thi forum was unappealing to some members, simply dont read it. no harm,no foul i say. and if you dont want to diy,just call ME!! I AM A CARPENTER:-D:-D:-D

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
On behalf of the staff and myself, I would like to apologize that we have not yet made a decision. We are not ignoring the issue. Normally, we would have made and implemented the decision, if necessary, in a few days.

But for some reason this suggestion has created more controversy than any suggestion in a longtime. I'm not sure why, but I promise we will make the decision in the next few days.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For what it's worth, Steve, I don't think you'd lose any members either way. It just seemed a good way to research past ideas more easily & allow us to know whether or not we wanted to pass over a particular thread. I think everyone here knows enough computer skills that they could find what they wanted on this site with minimal effort anyways. I don't visit any other sites like this so I can't compare it, but this site would be fine with me without the HI forum. You guys keep up the good work.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Put me in the Mike Davis camp. :eusa_hand I didn't come here to learn how to hang curtains, repair tile, or fix toilets. (I had too many years in that already!) I'm, as most of you know, a novice woodworker who's trying to get better. Let's leave that other stuff to the DIY sites. Thanks for the forum!!

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'm for it. From what I see, there'a huge pool of talent on this forum. There are a number of things done differently around here from my Yankee origins. Such a sub-forum could provide answers without, I feel, degenerating into tiffs over interior decorating, etc.:lol:

My 0.02

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS