Stumbled upon a Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Thanks guys. I'm itching to get this thing home but it's gonna have to wait at least another week.:nah: I'm still surprised that the ad for it lasted 4 whole days and they got no other inquiries besides mine. :icon_scra When my BIL went to pick it up he talked to the guy that was selling it and unfortunately got a variation of the all too common story these days. The guy got the saw from his father when he bought a new one, he'd used it a time or two and it sat in the workshop gathering dust. He's a building contractor and seeing the same drop in work as a bunch of other folks and told my BIL that he needed the money more than he needed the saw right now. My BIL was prepared to offer him less than asking price, but after seeing the condition of the saw and talking to the dude he said he couldn't bring himself to do it. He said he got the feeling that the dude would have probably taken less though to see someone buy it.

Scott, I was going to go looking for your blade source from other posts and you saved me the hassle. I may take you up on the set up and lesson offer when I get it home. Thanks :icon_thum:icon_thum

This is way more saw than I needed but at that price it was a no brainer!!!:tool:

Brian.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,

I love the Flying Dutchman blades and agree they are better than most over the counter blades, but is there more than just preference in your warning? I have a bunch of unknown blades that came with my saw, most of which I think are good quality though some have a little rust, and I plan to use them. Anyway, I wondered if your use of caps in the warning means that there is something bad you can do to a saw using less than optimal blades (or if it is just a strong opinion :) ).

Yes, I have had a couple bad experiences with another popular brand. It won't damage the saw but it could turn a newbie off big time.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Scott, was looking at Mike's workshop blades and was wondering if you could recommend some blades to start out with? Is the 5 blade sampler worth buying? It seems to be pretty expensive unless I'm looking at the prices wrong. I was thinking maybe just some ultra reverse or scroll reverse to start out with and at around 3 bucks per dozen I can afford to mess a few up!! :gar-La;
I'm prob gonna only be starting out on BB and maybe some poplar and cedar scraps.

TIA,
Brian.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I'm not Scott but I would highly recommend the Ultra Reverse blades :icon_thum
Best driving blades out there in my opinion . just be sure to install with the marked side up and you're ready to rock and roll . Easy to follow the line and virtually no sanding on the back when you are done :eusa_clap. Get a #1 #3 and #5 and you'll be loaded for bear on that BB :eusa_danc
Mike is also a great person to deal with , with excellent customer service

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Robert, my bruddha sorry. I plum forgot one of our other resident scroll saw artists had commented on this one as well!! :gar-Cr

How about spiral blades while I'm placing an order?

TIA,
Brian.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am not Sott, but i will tell you that I probably have used more #5 reverse blades than anything else. I tend to cut hardwood and sometimes go to a #7, but a #5 is what I consider the best compromise - it won't break too easily, will cut up to 4/4 boards and still do reasonable detail. The reason for revese teeth is it gest rid of fuzzies on both sides. If you only do thin stock, you might go smaller.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Robert, my bruddha sorry. I plum forgot one of our other resident scroll saw artists had commented on this one as well!! :gar-Cr

TIA,
Brian.

Brian, If you are planning on doing any portrait style cuttings the spirals will do good on them - Don't try to cut anything straight with them - I like to use them because most of my pixs are 12x16 and I have some pretty thin peninsulas - I just don't like to turn those around alot - JMTCW

sawduster

New User
Robert

TIA,
Brian.

No harm no foul bro :mrgreen: It is so rare that I know the answer to a question here or have good info to share that I just couldn't resist :rotflm: Plus I really like the blades ....wish they had been around when I started :BangHead:

Spirals ? Heck yeah , go for it ....get the " easy " spirals . Get a #3 . You'll either like them or you won't ....not much middle ground there :mrgreen:
Mike has a pretty good ' what blade do I need " section and you can always call him . I've spoken to him on more than one occasion and he is quite helpful :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Andy
Spirals ? Heck yeah , go for it ....get the " easy " spirals . Get a #3 . You'll either like them or you won't ....not much middle ground there :mrgreen:

You are right, Robert. I ride the fence on a lot of things, to each his own and all that, but...

:qleft7:Spirals:qright5:

I pivot on the back corners of the blade a little bit on tight turns. Spirals ain't got no corners. :evil: They are tiny router bits disguised as saw blades.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I'm still surprised that the ad for it lasted 4 whole days and they got no other inquiries besides mine. :icon_scra

if you don't have a pic on your ad you're generally wasting your time advertising it. unless it's a screaming deal like this one where someone will eventually inquire.

oh and congrats on the saw!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Thanks guys for all the blade feedback, I'm going to try to get an order in today if it ever slows down at work. Then after work I'm off to look at another potential CL acquisition a little closer to home!! :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Brian.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might be to late but here is my blade input.

Yes ultra reverse is the way to go. I use #5 for more then 50% of my scrolling but I do have and use some other sizes from time to time 2/0, #1, and #3

I would get a few sizes spiral blades 2/0, #1, and #3 BTW I have some #3's you can buy.

CarvedTones

Andy
BTW, with all our recommendations about reverse blades, it is porbably good to warn you that your first experience with them is likely to be exciting. The reverse teeth will pull the board up off the table and the regular ones will slam it back down machine gun like if yo don't keep it pressed down. Don't overdo it though, you can cut most accurately with a light touch (IMO) so you want the lightest pressure that won't let it lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS