Stumbled upon a Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've been following all the scroll saw review/suggestion threads for the last couple of months cause I was toying with getting a starter saw to attempt to make Christmas ornaments from scrap BB and the like. Well I had been scouring CL looking at Delta's and Dremel's in the $40-70 range and happened upon this posting using Craigshelper Saturday night while I was still at work. The listing was put up on the previous Thursday so I was certain it was long gone and the ad hadn't been deleted. There was no pic or model # provided but I sent an email inquiry just in case. Without further ado here is the text of the posting.....

Scroll saw - $75

scroll saw for sale $75.00
Like new condition
retail price $250.00
Hawk Precision
RBI

Imagine my shock when she replied the following morning informing that yes it was still available, it was a Hawk/RBI model 220 VS with foot pedal, was only used 3-4 times, and yes the asking price was $75.:swoon: So of course I promptly responded that I wanted the saw and inquired where I could send my BIL (who lived closer) to pick it up from. Phone #'s were exchanged and the deal was completed last night right before I left work at 19:30. My BIL informed that it looked like it was just unboxed and had hardly been used and also came with a light. So now it just has to make the trip from their house to mine before I can start making some scrap!!!:icon_thum

The only pics I have of the actual saw are the crappy cell phone pics I was sent, but I've included a respresentative pic for those who don't know what they look like and I'll get some others once I get it home.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Crappy cell pics.

rbi.jpg

rbi3.jpg

A random pic I found in an auction posting, starting bid $600!!!

rbi4.jpeg

Sorry for the long windedness..............

Brian.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Imagine my shock when she replied the following morning informing that yes it was still available, it was a Hawk/RBI model 220 VS with foot pedal, was only used 3-4 times, and yes the asking price was $75.:swoon:
QUOTE]

Hope that her husband was aware of the sale price!!!!

What a fantastic steal!!!!

Congratulations and have fun flyin' that bird.

Wayne

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
What Part of North Carolina are all these Great Deals coming from?

YOU SUCK~! THAT is Some Major GloatoAwesomeNess

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice haul!!! You will have to post your own pics and let us know what you think about it once you get going!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
STOP!! THIEF!!:qleft7::qright5:

this just aint right man. you should be ashamed of yurself.:eusa_clap nice score.:eek:ccasion1

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hope that her husband was aware of the sale price!!!!

Wayne[/QUOTE]Either he is DEAD:gar-Cr, or DIVORCED:gar-La;!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
You didn't stumble, you fell face first into the deal of the year!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Tell you what. I have a reciprocating saw from CHICAGO ELECTRIC that's much more powerful than that dinky little saw. Portable too. I'll trade it for you for that Hawk thingy.

I'd say "nice score" but this one calls for The Big Guy:
bill-murray-you-suck.jpg

Congrats Brian! :) :tool:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Retail on the 220 was more like $750. Maybe her husband had told her it only cost him $250. That is one sweet machine. I have the big brother 226. Lemme me know when you get it and I will be glad to come over and show you how to adjust and use it. DO NOT use BORG/hardware store blades. Get them here: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Scott,

I love the Flying Dutchman blades and agree they are better than most over the counter blades, but is there more than just preference in your warning? I have a bunch of unknown blades that came with my saw, most of which I think are good quality though some have a little rust, and I plan to use them. Anyway, I wondered if your use of caps in the warning means that there is something bad you can do to a saw using less than optimal blades (or if it is just a strong opinion :) ).

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Scott,

I love the Flying Dutchman blades and agree they are better than most over the counter blades, but is there more than just preference in your warning? I have a bunch of unknown blades that came with my saw, most of which I think are good quality though some have a little rust, and I plan to use them. Anyway, I wondered if your use of caps in the warning means that there is something bad you can do to a saw using less than optimal blades (or if it is just a strong opinion :) ).

Andy, with my experience in different blades I have found that the FD blades are on the top of my list - If you use the other blades I don't think that you will damage your machine in anyway - unless something REALLY goes haywire - I have found that the BORG and other blades do not cut as well, brake more often and just don't last as long as the FD - I wouldn't throw them away - just use them on certain things like something that you can sand up to the line after you get it cut out - JMTCW

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
What a deal.. I was reading that another company bought all of the RBI assets and is hoping to bring them back online later this year or next year. They are currently supporting existing units with parts, etc. I still can't believe you got that for $75.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors