Starter Pin on Router Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Could someone please give me the short version on how to correctly use a starter pin on a router table? I have thought about it so much I have confused myself. I can't seem to find a good explanation on when it's used, how it's used, or where it's used.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick I moved your thread to the Power Tools forum, as router table use is definitely more a power tool than a hand tool.
The starter pin gives you something to brace the work piece against as it is offered into a spinning bearing guided router bit. Most router table inserts will have a mounting hole for one. It is usually located to the right of the bit, often just in-line with the center.
When I use my starting pin I place the work piece against it and rotate it into the bit. As soon as the bearing engages you can let the work piece off the starting pin.
A starting pin is only used with bearing guided bits as the bearing becomes the fence that controls the work piece.
HTH,
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
One point not mentioned is that it is in most cases not used with a fence. Doing curved pieces or irregularly shaped pieces is a prime use for it.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks, Dave. Don't know what I was thinking.

Is starter pin only used on end-grain or for edge-grain as well?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It is best to use it for any cut using a bearing guided bit and not the fence. I have started a cut on the edge grain of a board without using the pin, but it is much safer to use it than not. It acts as a control/pivot point until the cut is fully engaged and the bearing is guiding the work piece.

HTH,
Dave:)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great description guys, and good job helpig out a fellow member with out drowning him in information:icon_thum

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
My first question was going to be "what is a starter pin" and that got answered too. I never heard of it before. Thanks guys.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Tom, that's a great explanation and good info. One more example of your talent for explaining things to simpletons like me!!

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
My router table is so old it does not have a starter pin. If I have seen one for sell I can not remember where. Anyone know where to buy one and how to install it correctly?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I was wondering the same thing.
A T nut and a cut off bolt seems to me it would serve the purpose. Tom??

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I was wondering the same thing.
A T nut and a cut off bolt seems to me it would serve the purpose. Tom??

It doesn't appear that there is any major science involved in placing the starter pins. I have seen them located all over the place from manufacturers. I guess sneaking a tape measure along the next time you visit anyplace with a router table would give you some dimensional info.

The major point is to make sure that it is sturdy. Most starting pins are threaded right into the plate or table, and virtually anything will do. I used a simple 1/4-20 bolt with the head cut off for one of my old tables. I just drilled and tapped holes where I thought they would work and darned if they didn't work just fine.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You can clamp a board with a rounded end in front of the bit and it will serve the same purpose.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS