Starter Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I would like to learn how to turn and need suggestions for a starter lathe, so fire away with your suggestions.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I personally like the Jet mini. It is solid and reliable. There's not a lot of small plastic parts like other minis. I use my weekly and have no complaints.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I bought a HF lathe and it works wonderfully. If you lived closer Id sell you mine as I dont get much use out of it these days. I like it for a variety of reasons mainly the price was great and I was unsure if Id us it long tearm. 2nd the head swivels 180 and also to the 90 mark so I can turn larger pieces outboard if needed.
I would suggest finding a turning club near you or take a class or two to see what you think. I do still like turning but with work and school its hard to find the time to try.

Thanks Mark

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Take a class

When I was traveling a lot, I took a couple of classes at woodcraft and rockler stores at my destinations. I had inherited a HF lathe, and yes it worked okay, but when I purchased a Jet mini, the quality of my work improved, and my attitude improved a lot. Many of the mini's and midi's are great starter lathes. I use mine for bowls, pens, pepper grinders, tops, kaleidoscopes, and many other small projects. It is fun to use.

Personally, if I was going to buy another small lathe, and I have been pondering it, I would consider the Jet mini Variable speed, or the Delta, but Penn State Industries Turncrafter Pro or Commander looks like a good deal. Right now they even have some great package deals. I spent much more on all of the accessories than I ever did on the lathe (turning tools, chuck, live center, adapters, etc.).

Good luck.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I have had a Penn State Ind. Turncrafter Pro for a few years now - It not only is a very well built and affordale lathe, but PSI's customer service is outstanding.

navy1990

New User
Matt
I have the Penn State Turncrafter Commander. I got it as part of a package deal through PSI and love it. And I agree that you will spend more in accessories than you will ever spend on the lathe itself.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Woodcraft has a sale going on a Nova midi and a delta mini. Normally Klingspor will also have some pre Christmas deals going on too. Buy the largest lathe you can. You can turn small things on large lathes but not large items on mini lathes. Just a word of caution. The lathe is only part of what you need. You will soon find yourself buying turning tools, chucks, mandels, slow speed grinder, sharpening jigs, sand paper, and you will never look at a tree the same way again

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Of all the little lathes I have sold the top of my list is the Rikon. Well built, the best style of belt cover and very good company to deal with. Just my opinion. I have both the Delta midi and iron bed lathes
Bill "Pop" Golden

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I have had 4 lathes over the past 6 years, I started with a Ridgid lathe, then bought a Wilton mini lathe which I had turned hundreds of pens on, then found an old J-line, which I haven't used yet because I do not have the proper power supply as of yet, and my wife just bought me a Steel City (made of granite) mini lathe that can turn up to 12" bowls and is 27" between centers, my favorite to this point. I have used Jet and Delta in the past as well, and prefer the Jet over the Delta, but it is a close call between the Steel City and the Jet. Stick with one with high rpm's and one that won't vibrate much. My Steel City weighs 161 pounds and is roughly 4 ft. long and is variable speed with high rpm at 3800.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe this will help. I have a Jet 1236 with a full set of turning tools that I need to sell. I was lucky enough to move up to a larger Powermatic. This Jet is about six years old(they still make it) and is in good shape. I can also throw in a pen spindle to get you started. I would like to get $375 for everything

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Re: Save your money for a little while

Join a turning club. There are several in NC. Nearest to you is probably: http://www.spwoodturners.org/ . Most clubs have mentoring programs.Spend a couple of months with "private" lessons. Make sure that you have really been infected with the "bug". Then spend your money on what you want for your style instead of dropping several $100 on something that will not really suit you. You will spend as much on tools as your lathe. If possible, consider ONLY variable speed (more expensive)!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe this will help. I have a Jet 1236 with a full set of turning tools that I need to sell. I was lucky enough to move up to a larger Powermatic. This Jet is about six years old(they still make it) and is in good shape. I can also throw in a pen spindle to get you started. I would like to get $375 for everything

Gee...that is a steal.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Kevin, let me suggest that before you buy, put your name in the pot for the Good Will Lathe. See this thread. It is open for nominations for the next recipient right now, just post in the thread that you want to try. It is a great opportunity to try one out before you commit to all the expense involved. There are a lot of goodies that come with it and you will learn real quick what you like and do not like, and what will and will not work for you.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Kevin, let me suggest that before you buy, put your name in the pot for the Good Will Lathe. See this thread. It is open for nominations for the next recipient right now, just post in the thread that you want to try. It is a great opportunity to try one out before you commit to all the expense involved. There are a lot of goodies that come with it and you will learn real quick what you like and do not like, and what will and will not work for you.

Excellent Idea.

mihunt

New User
Mike
I agree with the jet mini...you can find cheaper lathes, but I've had the jet 1014i for almost two years and enjoy it. I only turn pens, bottle stoppers and the such so I have not needed anything larger, but if you plan on just turning small items I'd suggest the 1014i....some recommend the 1014vsi, but as long as you don't mind having to manually change the belt speed (which does not take long), I save the money and use it to purchase a good mini lathe chuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS